Lunch in Salem, MA/dinner in North End?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be visiting Boston area with family who want to spend Sat 10-28 in Salem. Any good recs for lunch? Two teenagers and 2 adults. Kids seem to think there is special Halloween themed stuff to do in Salem that day. How much time to allow for sightseeing? Any other things to do nearby? Planning on dinner in North End Sat night, Antico Forno still good? Other recs? Where to park rental car in North End? TIA!
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 02:34 PM

I suspect Salem will be crazy crowded the Saturday before Halloween. You may have a harder time parking there than in the North End! I have family in the area, and vistited about 2 weeks before Halloween a few years ago and it was very crowded then. Should be a lot of fun though - hopefully a local will chime in with ideas of where to park. For lunch, Boston Beer Works has good pub food.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 02:48 PM

I would have to agree about the parking situation on 10/28. I was just in Salem about a week ago, and went on the trolley tour. From what the guide told us, I understand that Halloween time has about 100,000 extra visitors in town. It will be crazy!! Is there any way you could park your car elsewhere and get public transport into Salem?
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 05:31 PM

I agree that it would be smarter to take the Commuter Rail into Salem, from North Station in Boston. You an easily walk from North Station to the NorthEnd for dinner. Check the weekend train schedule at www.mbta.com. This might be a day to just leave the car at home; where are you staying?
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 08:00 PM

make sure you visit the new chinese house reassembled at the essex peabody museum in salem....you need advance res for the house....it is fantastic..

there are plenty of sandwich places around....

pickering wharf in salem has some good eating places...

the hotel in the center of town --maybe it is called the hawthorne hotel or inn?? is very good....
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 03:17 AM

There is a parking garage next to Pickering Wharf and another one convenient to the Peabody Essex Museum. I was surprised that the pirate museum was recommended because we thought it looked hokey. But I've heard good recommendations after our visit. The best value for lunch would be Red's Eats but it's very popular. Large menu but diner atmosphere and huge portions. We also liked Passage to India. The pedestrian area around the museum has lots of shops. Check a local calendar for special events. I think the parade was already held. The North End is a great destination but if you are only going for dinner, a closer and excellent Italian restaurant is Zafferano's near Suffolk Downs. Park on the street or in the bank parking lot. It's near the Orient Heights T station. My 3 friends voted it best Italian restaurant ever. It's like a neighborhood restaurant, gracious service, great menu and fabulous desserts. The outside area, however, lacks the North End's charm. We originally planned to take the trolley tour but skipped it in favor of visiting an orchard. If you decide to visit the PEM the cafeteria has a good menu (except for the crabmeat sandwich).