Luna's restaurant in Little Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2005, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know when Luna's will reopen after renovations?
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 08:41 AM

http://gothamgazette.com/community/1/news/1166

We used to love Lunas so much. It was the stop we took on the way home from Fire Island in the summer, sunburned and with 2 cranky children, we would go to Lunas and have mussles in red sauce and pasta and rough red wine in water glasses. They did get wine glasses eventually, but the food was always good there.
This article will tell you about Lunas plans now and also the fate of some other places in Little Italy, it is all changing..sad in a way.
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 08:58 AM

So sad. Thanks for sharing the link.

I also hate it when folks discount Little Italy as "too touristy" and not patronize the wonderful long-time family restaurants. Seems like that perception is going to become reality.
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much. I checked out the link. We have been taking our family there since 1984 on yearly trips to the city from NH. Now our children are grown and we have 2 little granddaughters and they need to experience Luna's also. It is a very strong family tradition for us. And now that they may change owners, I cannot imagine that it will ever be as it once was....layers of blue paint on the walls, oldies music, Michael, and the awesome veal and red gravy dishes..it was such good food in a hole in the wall spot at such a bargain price. We will all miss it so much. This is very sad news.
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 09:16 AM

As a local, I would have to dismiss and discount recommending restaurant's in Little Italy to people I care about.

Tradition or otherwise, but these establishments have to do a lot better about their mediocre cusine and "overly" touristic-oriented styles in order to out-do the no-frills red table-cloth family-style dining in restaurarants in Arthur Avenue in the Bronx or even L'incontro in Astoria, Queens.

Thank goodness for tourists, Little Italy restaurants live on.
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

I agree that alot of Little Italy restaurants are too touristy, but have you ever been to Luna's? It was certainly of the old world with no pretenses (except when they went from using jelly glasses to wine glasses) and had wonderful food at very reasonable prices.
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 09:30 AM

Yes I have - quite a while ago, pre 9/11.

Now, before you comment on New York Little Italy restaurants as "old world" and with "no pretense", have you ever been to restaurants in Arthur Avenue in the Bronx? Or even just along Arthur Avenue during a busy Staurday market morning?
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

No, never done that. We're going back in September and will try to head there at that time. Thanks for the advice.
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 10:07 AM

Yo, Billy!

According to that article on restaurant closings in Little Italy, and your testimonial in this thread, we should start seeing tourists trickle up to the Bronx.

Thanks.

burp
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 10:30 AM

Good thought, billyboy!
I suggest Marios on Arthur Avenue and have the Spedini ala Romana
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 10:46 AM

Yo, burp!

Don't mind sharing, at all.

Besides, once tourists realize that it takes almost an hour subway ride plus another 15-minute bus ride in the Bronx from Midtown, there's a 90% chance that they won't go.

Now, if they decide to drive, then, good luck trying to navigate the mess at Cross Bronx Expressway and the confusing streets leading up Arthur and Crecent. Some of these streets in the Bronx are daunting and can be scary for somebody from the boonies. If they know this, there's a 95% chance that they won't go.

Finally, a cab ride will definitely cost a small fortune (not accounting for the non-understandable, but deliberate, out-of-the way scheme by NYC cab drivers). They'd likey just forget Arthur Avenue and hit the tourist traps in Little Italy, instead.
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 10:46 AM

If you want something similar in midtown, head over to Ralph's on 9th Avenue and 56th Street. Been around over 50 years, good Italian red sauce and inexpensive.

Other midtowners of the red sauce variety, Angelo's on 2nd and 55th, good pizza and pasta and a nice outdoor seating area.

Gino's on Lexington in the 60's, been around 60 years, great southern Italian but can get a bit pricey and no credit cards.

ZaZa on 1st Ave. and 65th, good red sauce, inexpensive and a beautiful garden out back.

Portofino Grill, 1st and 64th, great Italian, large portions, great service and mid priced. Don't miss the slab of Italian cheesecake, the best in town.

Old Jun 11th, 2005, 11:10 AM

Mario's?
I'm sorry but this may be one of the oldest, but really just average restaurant in the neighborhood.

If you go, my picks are Dominicks, Enzo's (in nearby Williamsbridge Rd.) and Roberto's (arguably the BEST Italian restaurant in NYC).

BTW, these restaurants don't make it easy on potential diners - they are always overwhelmingly busy and none of them take reservations.
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Any good Italian neighborhoods outside of Mulberry St left in Manhattan or maybe Brooklyn that may be a little easier to get to than Arthur Av? I would love to go to the Bronx, but that is a real hike from midtown and when you have only a few days there, it might not work.
Any suggestions would be appreciated
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 11:31 AM

Even Little Italy is not the "authetic" Italian neighborhood as it was once (as locals would attest to). You'll probably notice a lot more infusion of Chinese businesses mingling with "pseudo" Italian ones.

If you're looking for a very good Italian restaurant in a somewhat ethnic neighborhood that's not as daunting to go to and find, you might look into Trattoria L'Inconto in Astoria, Queens - which is the prime Greek neighborhood of NYC. A less than 20-minute drive from where I live in midtown-east on a weekend dinner hour. They take reservations and just ask for Vinnie (the maitre'd) and he'll set you up.

Or if you want to go ethnic in Astoria, go to Kyclaedes for their fine Greek food and fresh seafood.