coeliac in italy

Jul 13th, 2007, 09:16 PM
Original Poster

coeliac in italy

Is it difficult eating gluten-free in Italy? Do restaurants provide gluten-free pasta or is risotto all the way!
Jul 13th, 2007, 09:32 PM

Hello jaybee51, I do not know if restaurants provide gluten-free pasta, I would imagine most do not.

But you can eat well in Italy without eating pasta and bread etc. And risotto is fabulous (at least I love it). It wheat is the only food item you cannot eat you will have an abundance of food that you will be able to eat. And hopefully some Fodorite with the same problem will be able to guide you regarding restaurants that do serve gluten-free pasta..although I wonder how good it would be.

Wishing you a beautiful and healthy time in fantastic Italy!
Jul 13th, 2007, 11:51 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Jul 14th, 2007, 05:34 AM

I wish I could help with Italy, but I am curently planning an exchange trip for my students to Russia- also an area with plenty of bread.

One of my students has celiac, and it made me very nervous (I think even more than her parents). I started doing research and found this website:

http://www.celiactravel.com/gluten-f...1-italian.html

If nothing else, you can make copies of these cards and give them to your server at a restaurant, so that they have something tangible to bring to the kitchen.

I, personally, am more concerned about sauces and things with thickeners- things that aren't as obvious.

BTW- this website does accept PayPal donations for their expenses, so if you have the means, please consider donating.

I hope you have a great trip to Italy! Does gelato contain gluten?

Jul 14th, 2007, 07:25 AM

On the same website are the experiences of other coeliacs who have visited Italy - maybe you can gain something from reading their reports.
I hope you have a good, and healthy holiday in Italy.
Jul 14th, 2007, 12:36 PM

Jaybee51

My Daughter is Coeliac, we have been to Italy several times and never had any problem. We printed out the the Travel Cards on the Celia Travel website, and handed them to the waiter in most restaurants, and they were all without expception very kind and helpful. There are some restaurants will do GF pasta, but not many, our Daughter however, did very well on all the other food, just make sure to ask the waiter to leave all sauces off the meats. You will have to order your meat without any dressing. Honestly it might seem a huge challenge but you will be fine. Regarding the Ice-cream, my Daughter ate Ice-cream all over Italy without any adverse affects. Good Luck. If you Type in Coeliac or Gluten Free foods on the search function above, you will get lots of posts about the subject. I got some very good and kind advice from lots of posters here.