luggage size

Mar 26th, 2005, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

luggage size

Here is my question: Is a 26" luggage too big? Will I be better off with a 24" size?
I need new luggage and just purchased a TravelPro Crew 5 22" expandable roller case and a 26" expandable roller case. The 26 " is big! I took it home and compared it to my old one (thought it was 26" but it is 25). Also the travelpro is much wider. I do not carry on my luggage all of the time (obviously not when I am using the bigger case) and have even been known to take 2 pieces of luggage and check them both. I think that I like the 22", 20" is too small for me, so I will keep that one. It's the 26" that I am concerned about.
Mar 26th, 2005, 06:24 PM

What type of travel do you usually do? If you do mostly car, plane and the luggage rolls easily it should be OK. If you do train a lot - and the wheels aren;t great - I would get someting smaller.
Mar 26th, 2005, 07:50 PM

The main thing to consider is how much is that thing going to weigh when it's packed and whether you can handle it.

Airline limits now (domestic) are generally 50 lbs per bag -- anything over is charged excess baggage fees. I have a 24" and it normally weighs in at 45+ pounds when I use it. I'm always afraid I will go over and I wouldn't even consider using it expanded because I know it will go over then. Plus, I don't know about you, but I have trouble lifting it even in and out of car trunks and don't think I'd be able to do it at all if it were any larger.
Mar 26th, 2005, 07:51 PM

And I meant to add, I think it is too large.
Mar 27th, 2005, 10:24 AM

It depends what kind of travel. Are you going to Europe & taking a train around? (get the smaller bag). Are you going on a car trip, or flying to a single destination where you will then go by car? (take big may work for you). Is this summer or winter travel? (I can get by with a much smaller suitcase in summer).

Another thought is to get x2 that "stack" and roll together, like a 24" with a 19-20" that piggy backs on it.

I recently used the expandable feature on a new-ish 24" suitcase coming home from Hawaii. I didn't like it because when expanded the bag didn't handle nearly as well (was tipsy).

For me a packed full 26" would be too heavy to deal with, pulling it off the luggage conveyor at the airport, just for a start!

Apr 3rd, 2005, 04:34 PM

Daughter headed to Oz for an exchange this summer and thinking of purchasing new luggage for her birthday - considering briggs & Riley Transcend 21" and 25". She will need lots of clothes, I know that much! Are these going to be too much for her to deal with? She will have lots of help on the other end (aka the boyfriend!)
Apr 3rd, 2005, 07:46 PM

If this is simply a flight to get her there (she won't be traveling around solo by bus or train with these bags after arrival)... so with people on both ends helping her deal with the luggage, and the bags checked all the way thru to the destination, I don't see where it would be a problem.