Luggage Recommendations Requested!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the opportunity to get a couple of pieces of luggage from a rewards service. I am looking for lightweight rolling luggage about 22-26 inches.

I have the following Brands/options to choose from:
Tumi,
Samsonite,
Ricardo of Beverly Hills,
LLBean,
Kluge,
Delsey,
Premium Bag"Bob Mackie"

Any thoughts?

Also does anyone know the location of a good review site for luggage that is not trying to sell it to you. Thanks!

Old Dec 4th, 2007, 10:37 PM

If you're made of money, go Tumi! They're really lightweight, not to mention elegant.

That said, I did pretty well with a knock off at Big Lots for around $40.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 08:03 AM

Lizardblizzard:
You mentioned 22’-26’ If you get the 22” and will use it as a carry on I say go for Tumi, BUT if you are getting anything that has to be checked in Samsonite would be a good alternative, (I have a Tumi that I REFUSE to check it) unless as the other poster mentioned you have the $$$ or you don’t mind if it gets scratches. As far as finding reviews for it try: http://www.consumersearch.com/www/ho...ews/index.html not sure if they have all the brands but could be a good starting point. Places to buy luggage that I found have great brands and good prices TJ MAXX, Ross and Marshalls, I know you did say you have some reward points it may be a good idea to check those places out and it may be a better bargain to buy it and use the rewards for something else, the above places also carry Kenneth Cole, Ralph Lauren, Samonite and at time you could get some really good deals. Hope this helps.
Gina
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 11:33 AM

I love my Delsey. It has stood up to both plane and travel travel.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 11:36 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My first criteria for new luggage would be whichever one weighed the least empty. Watch out for those expensive brands, some are very heavy.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 11:51 AM

We have had good luck at Costco. Anyway, my daughter has a couple of Llbean luggage pieces she really likes, and I will probably try them soon myself.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 11:57 AM
mdn

While Tumi makes very good products, I'm not crazy about them because (i) I think they go over the top in terms of materials etc. (bullet resistant whatever gimmicky material). Use of those materials is great if you're going to the combat zone in Iraq with your little Tumi roller, otherwise it unnecessarily adds to the price.
(ii) the price of their bags will often give the owner pause before treating the bag the way luggage should be treated- tossed around in the luggage compartment or on the baggage carousels.
That being said, I've had Tumi in the past & they're really well made.
But in general, I'm a bigger fan of Samsonite - price to quality & practicality ratio beats Tumi anyday. They have several models that are very light weight.
Also look at Swiss Army brand luggage and Mandarina Duck if at all possible. Some good stuff there too.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 12:44 PM

I bought an LL Bean quickload rolling upright duffel specifically because it was light (the 26" weighs about 7.5 pounds empty). I've taken it on two transatlantic trips so far and like it so much I just got the carryon size.

(One word of caution - the colors on the web site don't exactly match the actual color, at least for the green. I originally ordered that, thinking it was a nice sage, when it was really more of an olive with orange piping. I exchanged it for the red, which I like much better.)
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 01:08 PM
TahitiTams

I just bought from Costco on-line a wonderful Skyway 4 piece with a 26" and a 22" along with a duffel with wheels and a Laptop Tote..
Delivered all for $99.00..+tax
It might be more since it was a special coupon last week.
Check it out.

costco.com

Old Dec 5th, 2007, 01:49 PM

I would go with LL Bean because of their return policy. They will take anything back for any reason.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 02:57 PM

Kerry392 took the words right off of my keyboard. LLBean gives lifetime guarantees. many years after my friend got an llbean bag, the zipper broke, they replaced the bag for free. (she ended up with an updated version of course!)
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 03:54 PM

It's all about weight for me.
I have a couple of Tumi pieces, which are very heavy compared to my other luggage of similar size.
I would probably go for the LL Bean, given the choices.

Kipling is my brand of choice.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 08:03 PM

I should have thought to mention this in my earlier post, but the LL Bean return policy made me think about it: their customer service is fabulous. When I ordered the carryon, UPS thought they had a wrong address (we're in the back of the building and I guess they didn't think to check). Although I think LL Bean gave them an address for another person with my name when UPS called for the "correct" address, when I called UPS and LL Bean to see what was going on, LL Bean was completely proactive in making sure I got either my suitcase or a replacement as quickly as possible. They called me twice to check whether I had gotten it and were completely a pleasure to deal with. So given the return policy and great customer service, I'd order from them in a heartbeat.
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 05:33 AM

My husband and I travel a lot both by plane and car for a weekend to 2 weeks. For long stays I love my LLBean rolling 26". My favourite is 22" Travel Smith, it has been everywhere (Grand Hyatt, Kauai to tent on Dauphin Island, Ala) rolls great, doesn't fall over when waiting in those long airport lines.

It even balances my backpack and doesn't complain. I know Travel Smith was not on your list but this piece needed praising.

About LLBean's customer service. It is great! I phone tell them I want another of what I ordered last year and they just look it up.

Karin
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 07:05 AM
GoTravel

<""I think they go over the top in terms of materials etc. (bullet resistant whatever gimmicky material)."">

That would be ballistic nylon and it isn't gimmicky. I wouldn't buy a peice of luggage that wasn't made with ballistic nylon.

It isn't bullet resistant just very strong nylon.

Old Dec 6th, 2007, 07:06 AM
GoTravel

BTW, go for the Tumi.

I have Tumi, Delsey, and Samsonite and rate them in that order.

Old Dec 6th, 2007, 07:24 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Can you see the luggage in person? Or you have to do this online?

I'm picky not so much about the brand but the weight and the inside configuration (pockets, pouches, dividers). I have to do a "hands on" to purchase luggage.