Favorite luggage

Old Apr 27th, 2007, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Favorite luggage

Being a VERY infrequent air traveler and leaving soon for France, I am wondering what you all would consider your best recommended luggage. Having no other air travel planned in the future, I'm tempted to buy the 5-piece $50 set at the local discount store. On the other hand, since I don't need a whole set, maybe it's best to spend more for quality on one mid-size piece and a carry-on. Weight is important to me, as I'm not terribly large/strong, and will find myself hauling this up/down stairs, and my carry-on weight is limited to 13 lbs max. Suggestions, anyone?

Old Apr 27th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

And apologies if this might be the wrong forum to post this -- it was a toss-up between airlines, solo traveler and Europe (destination).
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 08:48 AM

there are numerous online luggage sellers. Use someone like ebags to find out the dimensions and weight of the various luggage options. Just google in lightweight luggage and a bunch of companies will be listed.

I just bought a 24" that weights 10lbs 5 oz. My Samsonite Silhouette weight close to 13 pounds for $80. There are lighter ones and heavier ones, ultimately the choice is yours. Shipping was free.

The nice thing about ebags is that you can find user reviews, and not all are positive. That doesn't mean you have to buy at ebags.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 08:50 AM

There is a similar discussion on the Fodorite Lounge. You might post there. Its a great place for general discussions like this.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 09:22 AM

I would definitely second the idea of using the EBags resources, especially the customer reviews.

1800Luggage.com is also a possibility.

Lots of people buy their luggage at discount places like Marshalls and Target and if you have one or both of those outlets readily available i would definitely look there.

I swear by my Briggs and Riley luggage because I travel a lot and it is very durable but I also like my lighter weight Eagle Creek stuff and I just got a great new carry-on from SwissWorks that is more laptop-convenient at Target.

good luck.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 09:56 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Are you trying to go with carry-on only? If yes, that's quite limiting as a normal 22" roller suitcase weights 7-9 lbs. empty.

Both my suitcases were $50 (on sale at JC Penny or at Marshalls or TJ Maxx). I have one 22" and one 24" expandable (I travel with either/or, not both). But I check my suitcase for the flight & carry-on a small tote of some sort in addition.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 09:57 AM

Since you don't travel too often, is there someone you can borrow a suitcase from? I loan mine out to friends all the time.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 10:01 AM

I loaned an older bag to a friend for his trip to Europe. The airline ruined the bag, and I ended up with a new one, compliments of the airline.

Want to borrow one of my old bags?
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Suze, I did consider borrowing one, but I was too worried about it getting lost or damaged, bad enough if it were mine. My trip is for 10 days, so I doubt if I could go carry-on, although I'm trying to pack light. So I was thinking one checked (a 22" or 24"? limit is L+W+H can't be more than 62") and a small tote, since that one has to stay at 13 lbs.

Thanks for the direction to ebags, great site, and they have some on sale. I will also take the suggestions here and try the Penney's and Marshalls stores.

Old Apr 27th, 2007, 10:18 AM

One thing I would definitely wantis a little carry-on with wheels and a telescopic handle. Every time I stand at security or customs, or the cattle line for a cruise, I wish I didn't have something slung across my shoulder.
I've resolved to get one for the next trip.
I travel with a 24" Travelpro - ballistic nylon with telescopic handle, good wheels, suggested by a friend who was a flight attendant. I imagine now there are lighter bags, but I've not had any wheel, zipper or material problems - which might be an issue with a $50 set.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 10:21 AM

one more thing- I used to carry on my 24", but that was before all the liquids/lotions regs. I do not want to spend any time looking for or buying personal products or paying premium prices, so I'd rather check the bag & not have all that struggle & confusion.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 10:24 AM

That's exactly what I do myself. Check in a 24" expandable with wheels (not expanded on the way over, usually expanded on the way home).

Then on the plane a non-structured tote (so it is very lightweight empty) like a Le Sports Sac or canvas tote bag.

If you decide to borrow, just make sure your friends have cheap luggage or set a replacement cost in case something goes wrong. Maybe I'm lucky but my cheap suitcases are 10 years old and still look great.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 12:12 PM

Suze - Good to hear- do you happen to have a cheapie carry-on with wheels & telescopic handle? I am wondering how much I will have to invest in one. Someone I met on a plane suggested Tumi, and I almost fell over the luggage was more than my trip cost!

Don't you LOVE Le Sport Sac stuff? I I've had a littl e zippered cosmetic bag 20+ years & perfect. I too bring a light weight tote bag. Great for market days & carry on returning home.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 12:23 PM

I think you're better off spending a little more money on one mid-size piece (either a 22" or 24" expandable suitcase) and a carryon. For how long are you travelling and how addicted are you to shoes and other bulky things? If you feel that you're not very large or strong, even a 24" suitcase might be too big. Make sure you buy the suitcase somewhere where you can return it for a refund. Take it home, pack it with everything you expect to take (don't cheat: include the heavy shoes, the toiletries, the guidebook, etc) and then take it for a walk around the block or two - and up and down a few flights of stairs.

For up to two weeks, I can travel without hardship with a 22" expandable suitcase and a fairly large daypack (e.g. 30 litres). I've travelled with a fully loaded 24" suitcase and sometimes found it difficult to get on and off trains, up and down stairs, etc. (I'm 5'7" and fairly strong).

I like the super lightweight suitcases and backpacks made by Victorinox, but they're not cheap. Samsonite is a reliable brand (but check weights, some lines are lighter than others), and you also might check out Landsend's line of rolling duffles.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 12:32 PM

ninasdream~~ I bought a nice TravelPro on wheels as a carry-on. It's small maybe 18" max. I don't like it. It doesn't work very well having both bags with wheels. And in a small size bag the necessary frame, etc. makes the space inside the bag so crowded. I will use it for certain trips though, like if I know I have 3 hours to kill at Heathrow or something. Other than that I prefer a non-wheeled carry-on and I just don't pack it too heavy.

Old Apr 27th, 2007, 12:43 PM

Suze - thanks for the reply. That IS a big problem with Travelpro, isn't it? The inside of the bags is pretty small. I bought a set 22" 24" and 26". The airport lost the 22" and it was never recovered. I want something small the size of a shoebox- ok, a sneaker box. I kept putting it off, but I can see from this trip to Mexico, with lines getting longer, that I need to get one.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 12:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Airline empoloyee -- I travel just about everywhere in the world.

I always use soft floppy bags -- canvas or nylon. Whenever possible, I take them as carry on; if not it is always good to have a half empty bag for shopping -- it bothers me a lot less to check in a bag for the return flight.

The new "terroist" rules have really caused a lot of useless problems.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Kate, that is a good idea about packing it and hauling it up and down my own stairs as a test, I never thought of that! I'm about a half foot shorter than you, and based on what you said, I think now I am going to look at 22's rather than 24's -- and ebags just happens to have a Jansport 22" that weighs only 8# on sale for $55. Thanks to ALL for the suggestions and advice!
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 01:07 PM

Ninasdream~ That's what I've been looking for, for quite some time, basically a large purse on wheels! (haven't found one yet though)
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 02:39 PM
ComfyShoes

khermann, I use Tumi brand (suitcases, briefcase, laptop carrier, you name it!). It is expensive but fantastic, extremely well built and durable. Google it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -