Search

Lower East Side

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2005, 10:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lower East Side

Hey soon to be fellow new yorkers...search is going good on finding a place except I have a couple of questions regarding a few areas. Again, I know this is a "travel" forum, but you guys are awesome with advice, and it has turned out to lead me in a pretty good direction so far....anyway...not really familiar with LES residential...I am looking at a couple, so I am just going to name off streets....E Houston and Attorney, eldridge and forsythe, and 9th st 1st ave and ave A in the village. Also, what about sunnyside? That is my next venture...thanks everyone! You've been excellent, and you are making my move much easier. THANKS AGAIN!
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 04:22 AM

http://www.newyorkmetro.com/realesta...ereastside.htm
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 06:33 AM

can i assume you will be working on the les? or is there another reason you are looking at that neighborhood? if you are not working down there, you don't want to go to far down, because it's hard to get around. 1st/2nd avenue, and 11th/2nd street is a nice little area...
feel free to ask any questions.
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 06:37 AM

Both those locations would be fine. The E. Village and LES are both up and coming trendy neighborhoods with lots of character (and characters).

Sunnyside...do you mean in Queens? I'm not familiar with that area, but living in QUeens can be fine, but not the same as living in Manhattan.

Where in Manhattan will you be commuting to on a daily basis (for work or school or other)? Convenience to transportation may also be a consideration.
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 06:50 AM

How old are you? What type of crowd do you want as neighbors? Two important questions to consider when looking to live in the LES, East Village & Alphabet City.
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 09:35 AM

Eldridge at Forsyth is really the edge of Chinatown, and it's right across from the Manhattan Bridge so there would be lots of train noise if your windows face that way.

1st & 9th and Avenue A (both East Village, not LES) are good areas - I wouldn't mind living over there myself! This area is all low-rise buildings, cheap bars & restaurants. Lots of young people. Move these to the top of your list.

East Houston at Attorney (Ave B) - I am not so familiar with this area but it's a little further from the "action" of the LES which is further west.
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Alright great! This is good information...I will be working and going to school in the diamond district. I am young, so I am not being picky because of the requirements that are oh so far out of my reach <right now>. I come from a smaller town in Michigan and what I make here is nowhere near what I will make in about 3 months, however landlords dont really share my optimism about my financial situation, so I will be pre-paying rent(at least 6 months) oh well...welcome to NYC right? I cant wait! I just love the city. Anyway, I just want it to be safe enough for my fiance' to be comfortable. Thanks everyone!
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 07:02 AM

Small town in Michigan eh? I see from previous posts you're 19. I'm 21 and only wishing I was moving away from Michigan. Where are you from?
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

I'm 21 now, those posts are old. I'm from port huron. Blah town!
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 11:55 AM

Twenty-one?? The LES & East Village should be perfect for you.

Enjoy!
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 08:47 PM

Oh yes...from Shelby Township/Sterling Heights/Rochester area...not too far. Enjoy your moving to the city!
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 09:35 PM

Just a thought.I rec. that both you and your girlfriend check out some dif. areas in the city.The east village is great but very funky and artsy.I love it but a midwest girl may not be comfortable.I am not saing that all people from the midwest would not be comfortable there but it may be a culture shock.8th &9th st are less funky but great and expensive areas,Sunnyside is in Queens and not much fun but it is close to the city,williamsburg Brooklyn is popular with young artsy folks along with orthodox jews.It sounds like you will be happy anywhere you end up.Good Luck