Loved Sedona...please help me pick next destination

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2003, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just returned from an amazing vacation to Scottsdale, Sedona, and Grand Canyon. We're from the midwest (myself, husband, and kids ages 8 and 10) and have traditionally taken Floriday/SC/Caribbean beach vacations.

I couldn't get over the beauty of the red rocks in Sedona as well as the mountains and the recreational opportunities they all offered.

So I'm looking for the next amazing spot and would appreciate suggestions. What other destinations would get us out of the beach mode (or at least offer other things to do in addition to beach/pool time), offer natural beauty, and still be kid friendly?
Old May 1st, 2003, 01:21 PM

If you loved the red rock of Sedona then you will love southern Utah.

Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon National Park, Capitol Reef National Park, Arches National Park and Canyonlands National Park. Glen Canyon National Recreational Area (Lake Powell) Escalante - Staircase National Monument, Natural Bridges National Monument, Dinasour National Monument (N. Utah) & Scenic Hwy 12 just to name a few!

http://www.so-utah.com/

You can also get a red rock and water combo at Lake Powell.

Moab, Utah is a great vacation destination. Water rafting, bike riding, 4 wheel dirt road adventures, hiking at Arches and Canyonlands National Park and Deadhorse state Park. Just to name a few.

Utahtea
Old May 1st, 2003, 01:53 PM
gc

Oh utahtea, you're so predictable...8^)

In addition, I'll throw in a vote for Jackson Hole. Beautiful, kid friendly and lots of amenities!
Old May 1st, 2003, 02:07 PM

Get info on Sun River, Oregon. Its right outside of Bend, I like it better than Sedona.
Old May 1st, 2003, 02:27 PM

i may be going to sedona with my father for a few days playing golf. we are flying on us air frequent flier tickets. However, we are having trouble finding a good return flight. I am flying back to dc, and he is flying back to greensboro, NC. the problem is that we cannot find a good flight back from phonix for him. they all take him somewhere and leave him there for like a 4 to 6 hour lay over. with the lost time inthe time change, it turns into a really long trip. i did a search on orbitz, and found some really good times for myself, however, i cannot find any for him. is it possible to do a search where you can pick your routes, or should we just try and call the airline. i know they can route him through dallas or something. any advice woudl be great. thanks...
Old May 1st, 2003, 03:51 PM

Come on gc, ElizaT loved Sedona so I was giving her great places to find more of the red rock

OK, if ElizaT just wants a great destination with two young kids then my first vote would be for Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming. You can't beat the beauty, wildlife, history and the educational value.

Utahtea

Old May 1st, 2003, 08:54 PM

Moab, Utah, previously mentioned, is the whitewater rafting capital of the United States. You can find all sorts of outdoor things to do there.

Any place where whitewater rafting is available is my choice for a fun trip with great scenery in the US. You can also raft out of Vernal, UT, and many other places in the Rockies.

You might also enjoy the Canadian Rockies (go raft the Kicking Horse River).
Old May 2nd, 2003, 05:13 AM

Santa Fe & Taos, NM are spectacular.
Old May 2nd, 2003, 07:45 AM

If you are considering the southwest would add Antelope Canyon just outside Page, AZ. Between 10-2 in early Spring the walls of this sandstone slot cayon are "ablaze" in reds and yellows. During certain parts of the day sunbeam fall to the floor adding more mystery to this canyon which is only several hundred feet long and you can walk right into. On the other end of Page is Horseshoe Bend. A half-mile walk through sand and over slickrock takes you to a view of Colorado River nearly 1000 feet deep in the shape of a horseshoe. Can often see raft trips or powerboats in the bottom. Nearby can also pickup a houseboat and ply Lake Powell. If you go east will come to some wonderful prehistoric sites Navajo National Monument. If you go that far it would be ashame not to visit Monument Valley where a number of John Wayne movies were made. If you are into National Parks after leaving Monument Valley could backtrack south to Canyon de Chelly National Monument. Take a tour with one of the groups and see more prehistoric ruins and rock art.