Help us plan a southwest vacation

Old Aug 16th, 2005, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help us plan a southwest vacation

We're east coasters who are planning our first US vacation since 1989. Our goal is to get an overview of the SW in two weeks, inlcuding arts centers like Albuquerque, Taos, and Santa Fe, along with impressive natural scencery ranging from the Grand Canyon and Zion National Park. We'd appreciate suggestions about sights, places to stay, art collections and gallerys,places to stay, restaurants, etc. Tell me what you liked.

Thanks, Joe
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 09:42 PM

What is your budget for lodging and food, and what time of year will you be here?

Lee Ann
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 03:23 AM

What city are you flying into? Also, are you interested in hiking/walking? We are heading to New Mexico in a few weeks and will post a trip report when we get back.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 03:39 AM

you need a starting point. i suggest you research best place to fly and rent a car (if that is your strategy) otherwise you waste 3 to 4 days getting out there (i'm from nj and have done it more than once) once you have a starting point it will be easier to plan

you can fly into vegas, albequerque salt lake, phoenix. even denver or grand junction co. my guess is your best rate for plane and car may be vegas. but only a guess. phoenix car rentals are very expensive due to almost 14% mark up for taxes and fees.

once you know where you start the fun of planning begins. make a list of what you want to see, cut it in half and you'll be set! two weeks may seem like a lot of time but it goes quick with all the things that you can see
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 06:25 AM

I can't help with the arts and gallerys, but for site seeing I would plan on Mesa Verde National Park, driving up Hwy 550 the Million Dollar Highway, a couple of days in Moab, Utah to see Arches National Park and Canyonlands National Park, then a short drive to Capitol Reef National Park and from Torrey, Utah take scenic Hwy 12 down to Bryce Canyon National Park, make a short side trip to Zion National Park and at least drive by Lake Powell near Page, AZ on your way down to the Grand Canyon.

Utahtea
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 06:26 AM

BTW, those parks each deserve a day and it will take some time to drive between them. I didn't mean to make it sound like they could all be done in a day or two.

Utahtea