Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Los Angeles: what are "must sees" for a mom and 12 year old daughter and please don't say Disneyland

Search

Los Angeles: what are "must sees" for a mom and 12 year old daughter and please don't say Disneyland

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in LA staying with friends in Sherman Oaks on a mother-daughter six day trip. I'd like to make sure we have some good outings lined up. Any suggestions? ( I never want to give Mickey Mouse another dime.) Thanks so much.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 04:49 PM
trippinkpj

Venice Beach, Aquarium of the Pacific at Long Beach, maybe Queen Mary. A day trip to Catalina Island if you have time (non-drowsy dramamine for those prone to sea sickness). A drive up to Malibu.

Old Jun 8th, 2006, 04:52 PM
trippinkpj

Oh, my teenaged cousins really liked Raging Waters in San Dimas if your daughter likes waterparks:
http://www.ragingwaters.com/index.cfm

Old Jun 8th, 2006, 05:11 PM

You have to go to Hollywood, Santa Monica and I would suggest a studio tour, Warner Brothers is great!
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 06:10 PM

How about lining up surf lessons?
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 06:19 PM

My daughters enjoyed a revolving sushi place in Little Tokyo.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 07:34 PM
trippinkpj

Oh, two more. My daughter when she was a teen, loved going to Rodeo drive. She's a shopper, LOL. And the second one my teenaged son liked: the Hollywood Forever cemetary. He got a kick out of it, even though it sounds weird.
FYI, my Sherman Oaks relatives keep trying to get us to go to Universal Studios and Citywalk when w're down there. So far we have resisted!
We've given you a variety of non-Disney things to do so far on this post.

Old Jun 8th, 2006, 07:54 PM

There's a very cute store at The Grove shopping center in LA, called "American Girl Place". It may seem a little juvenille, but they have the cutest cafe there that serves lunch and tea.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 11:35 PM

There's also a musical at American Girl. I haven't been (no 12 year olds in the family anymore) but a friend says it is very good. She may be biased as her niece is in the cast.
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

You guys are terrific! Thanks so much. Keep 'em coming!
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 07:18 AM

Rodeo Drive and the Grove are good suggestions. Hitting places like Melrose Ave., Fred Segal and Kitson will satisfy any need to do "edgy" young girl shopping (although these are more appropriate for slightly older teenage girls). Hit the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf at Sunset and Fairfax, stay and chill for a bit-- you just might see someone famous. Or maybe Urth Caffé in West Hollywood (on Melrose).

How about a "ladies' day" in Santa Monica-- a day spa experience at exhale (1422 2nd st.), followed by English Tea at Tudor House across the street (at 1403 2nd)? Then another spot of shopping on the Third Street Promenade (nothing particularly unique-- well, a Lush store, French Connection UK, Armani Exchange, Lucky Jeans, etc.)....

Strolling around Venice Beach is fun for a couple of hours. Rent bikes and ride the Strand in Hermosa Beach-- that's a way to catch how Californians live (well, when there's a beach nearby). For other cool beach towns, there's always Malibu to the north and Newport Beach and Laguna Beach to the south. Huntington Beach (also to the south) is Surf City, and the crowds on the beaches skew young, but otherwise it's not a very exciting place.

Disneyland isn't really a "must see" in southern California-- there's plenty of other stuff to do, as you see.
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 07:41 AM

Take a drive on Mulholland Drive. There are a couple of places to pull off to see the Valley on one side and the LA basin on the other.

How about thrill rides? Magic Mountain!

You can check out Air Force One at the Reagan Library.

Have fun!
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 07:45 AM

You should definitely hit Olvera St....it is like a mini trip to Mexico without leaving the country! There are shows, restaurants and shops - a 12 year old should find it rather intereseting! And there is a mission church right across the street for quick visit and some history.
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 07:45 AM

Ive never been to LA - but I think one of the celebrity tours would be fun!
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 10:08 AM

Universal Studios is great if never been. Hollywood Star Walk is fun to look at the different stars on the sidewalk, also Mann's Chinese Theater with the handprints. Maybe go to the garment district for a little shopping. I highly second Newport Beach and Huntington Beach, maybe stop by Venice to see the "unique" individuals rolling around on rollerblades playing electric guitars! fun! If you do go to Newport, cross the brige onto Balboa Island, it is so nice. They have quaint restaurants and shops, like the restaurants only have a few tables each. Very nice area to stroll around with an ice-cream.