Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Disneyland or LA/Universal for famil graduation trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be spending 3 days at the beach in the LA area. We have 3 other days, can't decide whether to do Disneyland or Universal & LA things for son's graduation trip. The boys are 18 and 14 and have both been to Universal and DL. Last time we went to DL, it seemed like it soaked us dry of $$$. They say they don't care, either one is fine. Would there be more activities for teens at DL or Universal and Citywalk? Also, would the drive from LAX down to Anaheim be grueling? The cost of lodging is about the same, maybe a little less @ DL, yet the cost to get into DL is more. Any suggestions for our indeciveness? Thanks!
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 12:49 PM

Have they been to Six Flags Magic Mountain yet? That's at the top of my kids' list for our trip to the area later this summer. And they've been to DL, Universal, and Six Flags several times.

Your kids would probably also enjoy Santa Monica and Venice Beach.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

They actually haven't been to Six Flags, but have a thrill ride amusement park in the city we live in, so want something different. We are planning on spending a day @ Santa Monica Pier & Venice Beach. Do your teens prefer DL or Universal between the two? Also, do you know how far the drive would be from LAX to Anaheim if we opt for that choice?
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 01:20 PM

My 19 year old son would probably choose Universal and City Walk, whereas our 14 year old daughter would prefer Disney. Big help aren't I... ;-)

LAX to Disneyland is only about 35 miles, but I remember it's taken us over an hour to drive it.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

That's pretty much where we're at! Our 18 yr old says Universal, our 13 yr old says DL! But they both love the ocean. What about spending a couple of days up at Santa Monica; Pier, 3rd Street Promenade, and completely forego DL or Universal? What do you think? Is there enough rides at SM Pier to make teens happy?
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 07:09 AM

No, SM Pier is not enough for more than a couple of hours, if that--for teen-agers. I would just go to Universal, b/c the younger one will adapt and have fun, no doubt. You did say it was a graduation trip, so maybe the graduate should prevail...
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 09:35 AM

I'd agree that you shouldn't forego DL or Universal for Santa Monica, especially if you've already planned three days on the beach. But, I'd use one of those three beach days to do Venice and Santa Monica.

Would your kids enjoy walking Rodeo Drive and Hollywood Blvd? I know my daughter and son's girlfriend will.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 10:46 AM

Just back from both with 14 yo niece and 17 yo nephew. They loved both Universal and DL. Both IMHO are expensive all the way around but we had a great time. Universal (if not crowded) is a "short" day. We had dinner at HardRock and then the kiddos shopped a little at City Walk.

The drive from LAX to Anaheim took us 40 minutes on Saturday afternoon. Drive back yesterday (Thursday) leaving at 7am took 2 hours 15 minutes.
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 06:56 AM

If you plan it right you might be able to do both. Check eBay for unused portions of passes for people who have bought multi-day entrance to D'land. Bring your own sandwiches to save $$ on food.

An alternative is Knotts Berry Farm. They have great rides for teenagers and it's a cheaper park entry. Adults seem to like it, too. It's in Buena Park, which is fairly close to D'land, so there's no real travel difference.

The LAX to Anaheim trip is easy. You can leave after the AM traffic flow and return in the evening, so it should take you about 45 minutes each way.