3 Days in LA with my 13 year old daughter

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have business meetings in Huntington Beach so my daughter and I are flying out to LA early and going to LA for a little Th/Fri/Sat jaunt before heading to Huntington Beach for meetings (and surfing lessons for her).

Anyone have ideas for 1) LA's can't miss sites to see, 2) getting around, and 3 mid-range hotels?
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 12:51 PM

Is she fascinated by movies like my 13 year old? How about spending the day in Hollywood on Hollywood Blvd & related attractions?
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 02:18 PM

Getting around LA-----must have a car. There's no other practical way.

For a 13 year old, I would think Disneyland for a couple of days would be more fun than running around LA. (Unless she likes museums)
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 02:25 PM

We all went to the Huntington Library in March. It was a fantastic place to visit. The teens enjoyed it as much as the adults. There were children there of all ages. Such a variety of things to see.
http://www.huntington.org/
The Tar Pits - we enjoyed the museum there and also seeing the actual tar pits. http://www.tarpits.org/
There is always Disneyland, Knotts Berry Farm, Universal Studios. We had fun just walking down Rodeo Drive and window shopping and stopping for limoncello cake and cheesecake at the cheesecake factory.
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 05:39 AM

Venice Beach on the weekend.
Small, quirky shops, food vendors, entertainment.
Great for a few hours of entertainment.

Then rent bikes or rollerblades or simply walk down to Santa Monica and the pier, then head up to Santa Monica's Third St. Promenade. Shopping, food, streets are blocked off. Entertainment in the streets. My 3 girls LOVED it.
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 06:18 AM

Third St. Promenade in Santa Monica: http://www.thirdstreetpromenade.org/

Venice Beach: http://www.venicebeach.com/

Good luck with the surfing lessons. My daughter had a destination wedding in Lauguna Beach last August and about 10-15 of us took surfing lessons down in Oceanside. Had the time of our lives. Adults as well as kids. You may want to join her mom!

My 15 yr old (last year) was insistent on doing the Hollywood thing. She ended up not liking it.

Enjoy!
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 08:02 AM

I forgot, we also did the studio tour at Sony/MGM/Tristar. My 13 year old hasn't like Disney since she was four.
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 09:12 AM
lvk

Continuing on the "Hollywood" theme: If she would like to see a TV Show taping, go to www.tvtix.com or www.tvtickets.com. The minimum age requirement is listed on the schedule. Many of the game shows and Disney Channel sitcoms allow younger kids into the tapings.

Warner Brother's studio tour might be fun, especially if she watches "Gilmour Girls". You can then take her shopping at a thrift store that carries clothing from TV Shows and Movies: http://www.itsawraphollywood.com/

Griffith Park Observatory has recently been renovated. The views from there are fantastic.

It really depends on her interests. The Getty Center, LACMA, MOCA if she is interested in art. Walt Disney Concert Hall or the Hollywood Bowl if she is interested in music. California Science Center, Museum of Natural History, Tar pits, Observatory, if she is interested in science. Zoo, Aquarium of the Pacific, Marine Mammal Care Center, if she is interested in animals. Shopping: Robertson Blvd., Melrose, the Fashion District.

You should choose your hotel after you decide what you will be doing, in order to minimize your driving frustration.
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

THANK YOU ALL - some great comments and insight for the trip...Chelsea can decide and all will be well.

As an aside, I visited the 1,000 Islands in updstate NY this weekend....what a fantastic summer place. If you get close - go there.