Los Angeles/Santa Monica

Search

Los Angeles/Santa Monica

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Los Angeles/Santa Monica

We will be spending 3 nights in the Los Angeles area starting Dec 10 and leaving on Dec 13. It will be two couples and two babies. We were hoping to have a fun family get together the six of us but would love a lovely place to stay near or on the water that would have a living area and 2 bedrooms. Should we go to Santa Monica and where should we stay. We don't want to do lots of traveling. Our sister in law is from Australia and is anxious to see a little of Calif. Thanks much. BEtty
Old Nov 16th, 2009, 01:25 PM

I don't have any specific lodging recommendations, but personal choice would be to go futher south, Laguna Beach, Newport Beach, San Clemente and check out VRBO listings for a house or condo that would suit your needs.
Old Nov 16th, 2009, 03:57 PM

You are talking several thousand dollars a week for a beachfront house rental. Even a condo in Santa Monica, Laguna Beach or Newport Beach will be pricy. Early December is low season tho and you might find a deal. I doubt anything will be less than $500 a night for a 2-bedroom condo.
Old Nov 16th, 2009, 08:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have no connection to this rental, but I live in the same town and am very familiar with this apartment's location which is perfect if you want to stay put for three days. There are at least a dozen restaurants and lots of shopping within just a few blocks. The rate seems to be $250 a night in December. What the photos don't show is that the pier will be decorated with Christmas lights at that time. The town's annual holiday fireworks show will be held on the pier on December 13th. It's the biggest party of the year, and the views from this apartment will be fantastic.

http://www.vrbo.com/148693

This rental is in the same town, but I don't know its precise location. The property is larger, and the daily rate is a little higher.

http://www.vrbo.com/182403
Old Nov 16th, 2009, 09:06 PM

Both areas have lots of restaurants, shopping, etc, but the area around the Sofitel has more. It's also more centrally located which is good for a short stay. However, the Georgian is the No.
Old Nov 16th, 2009, 09:06 PM

I just checked the map for the second property. It's in a somewhat quieter part of town, not within walking distance of many family-friendly restaurants and about a 1.5-mile walk to the Manhattan Beach Pier along the Strand.
Old Nov 16th, 2009, 09:13 PM

Link to the other thread you started:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...-monica-ca.cfm

To find all of the threads you've started or contributed to, just click on your name (in blue).
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you sos much for your help. I am looking at the two rental properties you mentioned, Jean. I have a call in to them. I am wondering if Manhattan Beach is closer to the LA Airport than Santa Monica and if it is nicer? The Shangra La Hotel in Santa Monica has a 2 bedroom suite that is pretty reasonable. How would you compare the hotel to the houses? Thanks much. Betty
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 11:11 AM

Well, I've lived in Manhattan Beach for more than 30 years, so IMO it's nicer than Santa Monica. It has more of a small town feel, whereas Santa Monica is urban. (The population of SM is more than twice that of MB.) MB is closer to LAX.

Only you can decide whether you'd rather be in a hotel or an apartment or house. If it were me, I'd pick the apartment on the Strand in MB for its unobstructed view of ocean, pier and sunsets, the beach and walking path right outside your door, and the ability to walk to restaurants, shops and grocery stores. Depending on your plans, you could do without a car for the three days.
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 01:19 PM

I also prefer Manhattan Beach..and I lived in Santa Monica for many years!
Old Nov 19th, 2009, 12:23 PM

A great Apartment alternative is the Sea Shore Motel

http://www.seashoremotel.com/

It is on Main street and right across the street from the Farmers Market which happens once or twice a week and you can walk the 1/2 block to the beach. There are great restaurants up and down Main and it is nicer with kids because you aren't up on the cliffs like you are further north in Santa Monica. They have a great apartment/suite they rent for families 2 bedroom/shared bath I think. And a huge plus in Santa Monica-they have free parking and free Wifi. The "regular rooms are only around $100/night, but of course the suite is more. We recommended it to friends coming for graduation for their son from Loyola and they loved it. Very simple-not fancy and no pool which you may want with kids. Oh and great little Italian cafe called Amelia's that is a hit with locals for coffee and breakfast.