Can't decide where to stay with kids in Southern California

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2010, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heading to Southern California in mid March with 12 and 9 yr old. Flying into Long Beach and out of LAX because of fares and times. Want to see Beverly Hills, Hollywood, Santa Monica but also head down to Newport Beach and Laguna. I was thinking of staying in between at a nice hotel on the beach near restaurants and shops, etc.. Santa Monica is a little too far north. Budget is up to $300/nt. Any suggestions?
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 06:51 AM

I like Redondo Beach. Check rates at Crowne Plaza. Meets all your criteria, is across the street from the beach, but a great location.

Redondo has a Holiday Inn Express that's not on the beach, right on PCH. Hermosa has a Hampton Inn, also on PCH.

Hermosa and Manhattan both have good, locally owned hotels right on the beach, but I can't say what the rate might be. Hopefully a local will pick up and advise.
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 07:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Weekdays you'll spend WAY too much time in traffic if you stay out of the city. I'd split the stay into 2 nights Laguna Beach (LagunaRiviera.com) and 5 nights in the city, Santa Monica or Beverly HIlls area (Hotel Palomar Los Angeles or Loew's Santa Monica)
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments.
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 10:32 AM

I guess it depends on how long you are going to be here as to whether you stay in two locations. Clarkgriswold is right about weekday traffic going from Santa Monica to Newport or Laguna. Unless you hit that small window from about 10:30-2, it can take 2 hours to go from Santa Monica to Newport. That's a 55 minute drive without traffic.

If you really don't have the time or want to move hotels then the Redondo/Hermosa/Manhattan Beach area is a good one as it's in the middle. I love The Beach House in Hermosa Beach. In the summer it's crowded and expensive but a nice place to stay in the winter. Doesn't look like you can book on-line for March 2011 yet but a room in December is running $224-$274 depending on the ocean view.

I think stumpworks meant to say that the Crowne Plaza Redondo Beach is NOT on the beach but close to it. It's not my favorite hotel-stayed there for 4th of July and it was OK-but the location isn't bad. Next door is the Best Western Sunrise which I actually prefer. Rerdondo is a bit of a drive to the freeway as we have discussed on other threads.
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Paula1470...the Beach House looks great! Just what I was looking for. I am going to call to see when the rates come out for March. I was looking into the Georgian in Santa Monica which I also liked but this being a little more south I would just stay here for the duration and use it as a home base. Thank you.
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 08:13 PM

I agree with Stumpworks...Crowne Plaza Redondo is a great location and hotel. Good Rates, nice location. Pool, tennis courts, view of the ocean..Not far from LA locations and Orange County as well.
If you are brave, you can bid on priceline for Southbay..3.5 star..we often bid and have always been given the Crowne Plaza. We live one hour away, but love to go there just for a little getaway.
If you join the Rewards program on line before you go (no charge) they give you a coupon for free bikes for 2 hours and a bottle of wine at the on site resaurant. Great deal!
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 08:26 PM

The only downside to The Beach House is it's proximity to the Hermosa Pier. If you stay there ask for a room on the side away from the Pier. Are you going to be there on the weekend or just during the week? Pier Ave by the Hermosa Pier can be a little noisy during the weekend although in March probably not too bad. During the week (which is when I've stayed there), it's very quiet. Summers can be crazy but in March I think you'd enjoy it.

Crowne Plaza Redondo Beach is OK as I mentioned and looks like you can get an Marina/Ocean View room for around $200. It isn't on the beach but in March you'd probably just be walking/riding bikes etc as it wouldn't exactly be beach weather. IF we get rain in So. CA, March can be one of those rainy months. It can also be beautiful.