Road Trip Toronto - Oklahoma

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Family of 5 needs recommendations and suggestions before leaving on a loooong road trip! Looking for accommodation and food tips!
Old Jul 28th, 2010, 02:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't overexert yourself telling us your interests, likes/dislikes, goals, as well as what other sources you've investigated, and why they were so unsatisfactory that you're posting here.
Old Jul 28th, 2010, 03:18 AM

Every now and then people who post often on this forum lose it when someone asks the impossible: asking for recommendations without providing any information to help.

For example, if I were making this trip, I would stop in Cleveland to visit Severance Hall, home of the Cleveland Orchestra, the Cleveland Museum of Art, then Toledo to revisit the fantastic Toledo Museum of Art, etc. Boy, I would have to have a lot of time to stop at all these museums, wouldn't I?

I wouldn't go to the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland because my musical tastes have changed, and I wouldn't go anywhere near Branson because I hate country music (though I like bluegrass and blues).

Do you like to stay in fancy resorts where they have valet parking and spas or do you like Hampton Inns or something else?

How old are your kids and what do they like to do? How many hours can you all stand to ride in a single day?

See what kind of information people need to help you?
Old Jul 28th, 2010, 04:50 AM

Why not do Route 66?
Old Jul 28th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Wow, this is great! You have to excuse me but I am new here!
Our kids are 10, 13 and 15. All girls. We would like to find an amazing amusement park for the kids. A great local restaurant or anything food related for me is always a big hit since I am a chef and own a cafe. My husband loves history and we all love beautiful scenery.
Is that better?? This will hopefully give you more to work with! Oh, yes, we have 3 weeks and we re planning to spend about 5 days in Oklahoma with friends
Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 04:21 PM

What is your route? Here's a thought. 8 days there, 5 days visiting, 8 days back. Hit Niagara Falls (been there, right?), then Cleveland, Sandusky (Cedar Point Amusement Park, which is amazing, so it qualifies for your kids).
http://www.cedarpoint.com/

Then Toledo, then something in Michigan (you tagged it), Indiana Dunes State Park, CHICAGO! Doesn't matter what your interests are, Chicago has it all.

From Chicago, Springfield (Abe Lincoln Library), St. Louis (Gateway Arch), something else in Missouri, and finally, Unknownville, OK.
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 05:46 PM

Well, I grew up in Springfield, IL, lived in St. Louis and Springfield, MO, and have son-in-law in Montreal. But that doesn't mean I can give advice to a family with three youngsters. My advice, let them do the planning according to their interests and your tastes. Of course, they will be tweeting or whatever during those long highway stretches. But I envision that hot tired days on the road are likely.

Bill now in Boston
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 05:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
THAT'S more like it!!!
Cedar Point's a great suggestion. Duck Toledo. After that, I'd suggest straight thru Indiana to Chicago (2 zoos, aquarium, Field Museum of Natural History, Museum of Science and Industry). If you wanted to visit a winery and tasting, there are several just 20-30 miles north of the Indiana/Michigan border, fairly easy to get to from I-80/90, up I-94.
The Springfield Lincoln library/museum mentioned above is excellent; the stop is worthwhile if for nothing other than its time-lapse schematic of the Civil War--you really get a feeling for how the battles ebbed and flowed.
In Nebraska, there's a pioneer museum (it also has large collections of early 20th century stuff-cars, refrigerators, you name it) at http://www.pioneervillage.org/
On the return trip you could swing thru Michigan, and exit thru Sarnia/Port Huron.
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 04:26 AM

Comments regarding suggestions...going into Chicago might be iffy as to traffic and parking and all but no question about great museums. Yes to Lincoln Library & Museum IF you allow time (two hours minimum). But surely no way a detour out to Pioneer Village in Nebr. St. Louis has good possibilities such as the renowned zoo, also Arch and Museum of Transport. Just west of the city on I-44 is Six Flags. The "something else in Missouri" for families could be a cave tour or Silver Dollar City in Branson (also has a cave). Again, let the kids plan. You are going to have many miles of boring highway.
Bill now in Boston
[email protected]
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 07:49 PM

You may have wondered (very briefly) about Keith's enigmatic comment about Route 66. He's referring to the former transcontinental highway which for many years was the chief route between Chicago and Los Angeles. It has been completely replaced by the Interstate Highway system, but portions of it still remain, although not designated Route 66. See:

http://www.national66.com/66hstry.html

The route I suggested from Chicago to Oklahoma basically follows the old route 66 path.
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 08:43 PM

Ozarksbill is on the money about Nebraska. It really is out of the way for you. But others may be lurking so let me make a few comments about Nebraska (I lived there for 3 years in the 60s). It has been denigrated by Easterners as a "flyover state", but there is much of interest there. The first homestead under the homestead act is at the Homestead National Monument south of Lincoln. Not far from there is Arbor Park, the source of Arbor Day, now a national celebration. The Capitol in Lincoln is an architectural masterpiece. No plain old dome. The Oregon trail followed the Platte River the length of the state, as does I-80. Harold Warp's Pioneer Village is on that route, as is the the Great Platte River Archway Monument spanning the Interstate. It's not just a Monument, but a museum with showy exhibits. Further on you can see the actual ruts left by the wagon trains, and the famous landmark, Castle Rock.

There are places where you can pull off the Interstate, I believe, and with a good pair of binoculars, spot a "flyover" plane up there at 35,000 feet. The passengers are totally oblivious to what is below.