Notices

Los Angeles Hotel Search

Old Jan 26th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Los Angeles Hotel Search

I will be travelling from Ohio to Hawaii in April. Since I don't tolerate long airplane rides too well, I would like to "break up" the long flight by stopping in Los Angeles for two days. Can you recommend a good hotel?Any hotels near the ocean? Please advise. Thanks so much!
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 07:39 PM

We did the same for our trip last summer and found the best location to be Santa Monica... We stayed at Shutters on the Beach, however there are at least a dozen ocean front hotels with various price points... do a search of Santa Monica hotels... it was the perfect location!!!!
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 09:42 PM
emd

Please clarify: What is a "good hotel" in the context of your stopover, budget, and your mind-set?

Utono, if you want to be near the ocean (and with your short time period, that means Santa Monica or a handful of other beach communities close to LAX), you should first give us your budget - how much do you want to spend per night? I am currently in Santa Monica in a hotel for a 10 days and have sepnt many weeks here over the past 10 yrs. Have made the rounds of the hotels including Shutters several times, and the hotel owned by same group next door, Casa del Mar (which I prefer of the two), Lowes, Miramar, Le Merigot, Huntley, Four Points (which has now been remodeled as a Sheraton), etc. Now there are even more to consider, like the Ambrose, Oceana, etc.

So what is your budget? And what do you like, or need, in a hotel-- modern? classic art deco style? concierge service? In walking distance to restaurants and shopping (which I personally have come to appreciate in Santa Monica, as many of the hotels are not central to this type of location)? Bathrooms important, need a tub, or a special deep jetted tub? Want a spa onsite? Or just want a less expensive place where you can walk the beach within 15 min.? Catch my drift...

In Santa Monica, Casa del Mar and Shutters are ON THE BEACH, meaning you don't cross any streets to walk right onto the sand. Big $$$$. Lowes is one street away from the sand (a quiet street), also big $$$, as is Le Merigot. But those hotels are also a bit away from the main shopping and restaurant area of the 3rd street prmenade and downtown Snata Monica (which are just a few blocks off the beach but a l-o-n-g walk from those hotels). Georgian is an old art deco hotel, a street away from beach but it can be noisy with street noise and it is an old bldg.; still big $$$ but a step down for $. Oceana is nice, a 1950s apartment bldg. across one street from the beach on the quiet end of Santa Monica but still in proximity to the downtown/promenade area, very nicely deocrated and low key. I am at the Huntley now - another old hotel bldg. that has been renovated in the last year and has a great location, in walking distance to shops and restaurants on the 3rd street Promenade and downtown Santa Monica area, but it has infrastructure problems as it is just an old bldg. Rate I got for room w/side ocean view is $314, just to give you an idea. Rooms at Shutter or Casa del Mar were btwn. $400 and $700 a night this week. Aforementioned Sheraton, 5 fairly long blocks off the beach, was at $275 this week. There is also a Holiday Inn close to the beach that has gotten mention on this forum, but I have not tried it.

Old Jan 27th, 2006, 07:03 AM
emd

Actually, since I have to be in Santa Monica for several weeks Mon-Fri for next two months, I checked out that Holiday Inn at the Pier on www.tripadvisor.com. It is getting very good reviews, and is excellently located right by the famous pier with the big art deco neon pier sign, so it is close walking distance to the 3rd St. Promenade and shopping areas in downtown, and is a few steps from the beach. And people have reported getting rooms for $100. That is amazing for a location like that in Santa monica considering the good reviews. I probably need more business support than I can get there, but it could be a place for you to check out if you want to avoid the $350 and up (way way up, after the taxes, car parking for $26-28 a night, etc.) that a hotel close to the beach in Santa Monica can present.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 07:21 AM
emd

Well, not much is perfect in Snata Monica (and if it is perfect, you pay $$$$ for it). I see the Holiday Inn has streeet noise problems in those reviews, so you have to be sure and negotiate room location at check-in...

In spite of some problems at the Huntley this week, I will stay here again. The staff has responded very well to every problem I've had (with lack of AC on floors 17 and 16, where the first two rooms I was given were; now I am on 12 and it is fine - just don't stay on 16 or 17 as engineer confided to me that those floors have AC problems, and the 17th floor hallways are gross as they are the only thing that has not been renovated yet; room service screw up, but one meal that was very late was comped for free, and other time it was a billing problem that was corrected). Every problem has been handled well by staff and I have gotten two call backs from front desk to be sure the problems were taken care of.

I will stay here several times again for next several wks. - now I know the quirks of the hotel but most of all I know that the staff will work to make everything right. The renovation that has been done by new owners is great and far-reaching, modern but not ultra-modern, just hip enough and luxurious linens, marble bath (but only w/large showers, no tubs); flat screen TV on wall, etc. The rooms look just like the candid traveler photos on tripadvisor.com. I love the room decor and lay out, and although I did not pay bigger $$ for front-on view of ocean, I have a nice side view of ocean and the city (on the eastern side of hotel; western side view gives you the side view of ocean and the mountains going up towards Malibu, and sunset.) The bar on the 18th floor is great, nice sunset views and good happy hour food discounts; restaurant is good and room service menu is 24 hr and good selection. The rms. w/two queen beds are much bigger than the kings, and have walk-in closet with full size dresser in closet. With the location, short walking distance to the action, I really like this place.

Sorry for the long posts, but you caught me during a week here. Santa monica is a confusing place to get a hotel if you are not familiar with the city. A hotel can look well-located, but then you can't see from the description or map that it is right on the I10 freeway, or that it is right on the beach but a long long walk or a cab ride through not so nice areas to the restaurants and shopping. And most of them are so pricey.
Old Jan 28th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your help! I just discovered this sight and you have helped me tremendously. Thanks again!