Search

Los Angeles Hotel Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2003, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Los Angeles Hotel Recommendations

Hi Fodites

Me and my fiance will be travelling to Los Angeles for the first time on 22 June and would be grateful for any recommendations of where to stay for the first few nights. Accommodation to be central to most good sites. We will probably hire a car but one with a free shuttle to/from airport would be good if we decide to not hire a car. We will travel elsewhere later but are going to spend 2/3 nights in LA first. So, to recap, good central hotel recommendations and any recommendations on which sites are best to see and which beaches are best to visit.

Thank you.

Old Jun 6th, 2003, 06:06 AM

You need to give us a little more info to help narrow down the hotel choices. The only criteria I could find is:
Shuttle to Airport (LAX?)
Central Location (central to what?)
I just returned from LA and stayed at the brand new Hawthorn Suites in Manhattan Beach. About 100/night and offers free hot breakfast, evening snacks (Monday - Thursday) and has wonderful large suites with the most comfortable hotel beds I have ever slept on... better than the Westin beds.
The property is totally enclosed with a common area/courtyard. There are only 100 or so rooms. Each room has a full kitchen and there is a large grocery store across the street. No free shuttle but it's only 5 minutes from the a/p so a cab is cheap. I ALWAYS rent a car in LA, it would cost a fortune to get around any other way! Parking is free at the hotel.
I actually like staying in the LAX area. It's close enough to the stuff I like to do and I can get to the a/p quickly for my early flights back to Dallas. I stay in fine hotels (4 and 5 star) 75% of the time and I actually like this hotel as much as the fancy ones, for different reasons.
I stayed at the Beverly Wilshire a month ago, I conducted a meeting there... it cost a fortune. Not a problem (the company pays) but I just find it uptight in a way. I am not an extravagant person by nature and when I find a new, clean and nice hotel like the Hawthorn Manhattan Beach, it's more like being at home. I travel every week so that can be more important than being pampered... and it's not a freakin' production to grab a bite to eat.
Let us know a little more about you and we can give you better information.

Old Jun 6th, 2003, 06:13 AM

I wouldn't even think about not having a car in LA. Attractions in the area are very spread out. I think your best bet is to figure out what it is that you want to see while you are there and then go from there.
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 06:41 AM

Hi Gleddy

I thought you normally go to Ireland for your holidays?

T_racy
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Thank you.
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 07:42 AM
mdv

LA is spread-out. Do you want the beach? Movie sites? near the airport?

If you want the city/movie sites ( Chinese Theatre, Hollywood tours, near , but not in Beverly Hills) I'd look in the Hollywood Roosevelt. Recently restored Spanish Mission style,
lovely pool and cabaret. The new Hollywood Renaissance is across the street--more modern.

Agree with the other poster--you need a car.