Search

Los Angeles drive times and neighborhood questions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2005, 08:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Los Angeles drive times and neighborhood questions

Hello,
We are looking at a school for our daughter in Northridge and my husband just accepted a job in Santa Monica. Is there a place to live that would be feasible for both? I was thinking Beverylywood, but don't know much about the commutes. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 01:12 PM

I live adjacent to Beverlywood. The commute to Santa Monica would be easy on the SM Freeway (about 5 miles) but
are you going to have to drive your daughter to Northridge every day? And back? I would say it would be 30-60 minutes each way depending on time of day/traffic. Or is your daughter going to college at CSUN and will be driving yourself. That would certainly make a difference in your choices.
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

Hi Diana,

Thank you for your help! Yes, (sigh), it is every day and back and then pick her up and back, too. Someone today suggested choosing a place along the 405 corridor. She said Bel Air, Brentwood and Westwood would all be good. The school said that often parents drop off the children and the run errands, work out, volunteer, something local, before they try to head south and that makes the commute easier.
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 10:26 PM

Those would all be lovely, but I imagine very pricy, alternatives.
If you live in the Valley, then it's
hell for whoever is commuting to Santa Monica, because that is the heaviest traffic flow in that direction.
Sorry I have no easy solutions.
There IS plenty for you to do in the valley if your daughter is only going a half day.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 04:59 AM

Hi sparklgem. Which school are you looking at in Northridge? I beg your forgiveness if this is presumptuous, but if there are SO many great schools on the west side, I can't imagine living/working there and sending my child to Northridge. Perhaps you could find one similar closer to your husband's job? The commute would be truly awful.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 06:17 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
That is certainly a horrible school run.

30 - 60 minutes one way 2 to 4 times a day (depending on whether you hang around in the Valley or not). And if there is any sort of tie up or wreck that 30-60 mins could easily turn into 90 minutes.

And if you move into the Valley then your husband's commute will be even worse. Surely there are schools you would consider closer to Santa Monica and preserve a bit of sanity.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 06:40 AM

Sorry but you cannot move. The Los Angeles freeway system cannot handle two more cars a day at the present time! Please consider home schooling!
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

The school is Highland Hall. We have our daghter in Waldorf School in Portland and it is the best choice for her. We visited the Waldorf school in Santa Monica, but it was not the right right school for us.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Lets_Go13

The trip from the Santa Monica area going north on the 405, to take your daughter to school, would be MUCH shorter in the morning than if you moved to the valley and your husband had to drive south. I go north everyday and once I pass the 10-Santa Monica freeway the 405 is moving right along. Unfortunately, the people on the other side heading south are virtually at a stop all the way over the Sepulveda Pass.

If you can find housing north of the 10-Santa Monica Freeway and west of the 405, your husband might be able to avoid the freeways completely, depending of course on where his office is located.

That said, afternoons going south on the 405 from the valley start getting rough by 3:00 p.m. and stay bad all the way down. Since your daughter will be with you, you will be able to use the car pool lane, but it ends just past Sunset.

Good Luck.

Old Nov 14th, 2005, 03:21 PM

How about Tarzana area? In the morning when freeways are jammed you could take Sepulveda Blvd south down to Sunset and then west over to Montana and out to Santa Monica . And Tarzana to Northridge isn't bad.
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Let's Go and Tracy! I will look into your suggestion Tracy and Let's Go that is just what I had hoped for.

Thank you to everyone. I really appreciate all the suggestions. It helps so much. This is a difficult and unexpected move for us. The insider information has been super helpful. I will probably drive everyone crazy but I am going to post another drive time question (there is another Waldorf School in Pasadena).

Very Best,
Gem