Search

Chatsworth funeral

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2012, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chatsworth funeral

Greetings,
I am making plans someone to attend a funeral in California - the funeral is in Chatsworth - I am not overly fimilar with that area -
They are going to stay for 3 nights and I mapped from Chatsworth to Santa Monica and it is not bad - but is there another area you would recommend for someone? The hotel rates are off the chart right now in Santa Monica.
Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 07:09 AM

Will they have a car?
I used to live not too far from there. Moorpark or Simi Valley would be much closer than Santa Monica. Thousand Oaks would be a bit further, but doable with a car.
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 07:11 AM

I recommend Woodland Hills, directly south of Chatsworth in the west San Fernando Valley. It has a number of hotels, many restaurants, and lots of shopping. We are in that area frequently. (Children and grandchildren, you know).

I can't imagine why Santa Monica is under consideration. It's a minimum 40 minute drive from Chatsworth over one of the most congested freeways in the LA metropolitan area (the 405).
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 07:19 AM

And is there a reason they can't stay in Chatsworth? Another place would be Canoga Park.
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 08:06 AM

In that area, time of day for traveling means more than distance on the map. Do you know the time of the funeral? Will they be going back and forth to Chatsworth for a visiting-hours thing the night before etc, or to visit relatives? If so they probably want to be close by, avoiding traffic snarls, the Staybridge Suites or the Radisson.

If they'd rather not be right in that area, consider the Sheraton Agoura Hills, in a nice spot with cafes and restaurants nearby. From here they would have an easy drive over the mtns down into Malibu if the intent is to see something else while they're in the area. And the drive up to Chatsworth is easy, as long as they're not going back and forth a few times. Hopefully they can avoid the 7:30 to 10am and 3:30 to 7:30pm travel hours...(but that doesn't leave very much of a window for the drives so make them aware that staying too far from Chatsworth might come with traffic headaches.)
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 12:11 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree w/ dbdurand re Woodland Hills. I used to have two field offices to visit semi-regularly in the SF Valley and tried to stay in Woodland Hills when I had the choice.
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Sorry I was not more clear - the only time they need to be IN Chatsworth is Friday around 11:30 am. and to a lunch after that - they are spending the weekend.
The reason Santa Monica is under consideration is due to the beach - they do want to be able to be near the ocean/cooler area than the valley - they live in the Dallas area.
I do know that any thing in LA means more drive time at any given time.
They land at LAX at around 12:00 noon on Thursday - the funeral is Friday at 11:30 and the lunch is after.
They will have Friday evening, Sat day and evening to themselves.
Old Jul 15th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Just wanted to say thank you - they have had a great weekend. Ended up staying in Redondo Beach as the only time they needed to be in Chatsworth was Friday. Got a winning bid on PL for a good price for a beach hotel -
Thanks so much!