Los Angeles

Old Jan 7th, 2008, 02:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Los Angeles

Hi,
Myself & a friend are from Dublin, Ireland and are thinking of going to LA in the summer for 5 or 6 nights. We've been to New York & Miami a few times but never LA so have no idea where to start looking for accommodation i.e. where is the best touristy area to stay, somewhere near all the sights, attractions & most importantly nightlife!!! We would appreciate any advise you can offer???
Thanks in advance
Viv
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 05:16 AM

Three preliminary comments/questions: In LA, nothing is central. What is your budget? What time of year (yes, it is gorgeous year round but are you heading to the beach or primarily shopping and dancing)?
Most would recommend not to stay downtown (though it is having a resurgence and I am told a nightlife). The westside or Hollywood might work well for you. The beaches (Santa Monica, Hermosa, Manhattan Beach) are great but a bit of a drive if you are looking to hit clubs or shop on Melrose. You might want to start with a short list of must-dos and give a hotel budget. You will probably get more detailed responses.
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Hi POlson,
Thanks for your prompt reply. I guess our main must-do's would be sightseeing, shopping & nightlife because we plan on heading to Miami so not being near the beach in LA wouldn't be the worst thing in the world!!!! Regarding budget, I guess we would be willing to pay about $200 per room per night (or is that totally unrealistic???) and we plan on going around the start of July.
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 11:18 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Los Angeles is tricky because it is so spread out. Hopefully you will be willing & able to rent a car?
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 11:19 AM

here's a fun hotel:
www.farmersdaughterhotel.com
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 04:18 PM

Hi There Viv, most people I know from Ireland like staying in Santa Monica, which is NO WHERE near anything else, but they like the beachy-ness of it all. There are a lot of pubs there and a good population of ex-pats from Ireland (that is if your objective is to meet other visitors from Ireland) there is also Venice Beach (more edgy, and the 3rd street promenade for more shopping). All Santa Monica adjacent.

The Farmers Daughter Hotel in the Fairfax district (which used to be the hub of both the Irish and Jewish community centers)is somewhat more central and near enough to Hollywood (which is really a happening spot these days) and WeHo (West Hollywood, which includes the Sunset Strip) and also some fine, off beat shopping on Melrose and at the Grove/Farmers Market. You should rent a car for your visit for sure.. LA is a very cool place but you gotta drive about if you want to really "do it" Give my best to Dublin! (I spent a semester studying there,way back, before U2 was famous and they played on campus
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 07:48 PM

I'm glad you received some hotel advice as I am not as familiar with local hotels. I would offer a couple of highlights to explore while you are here:

*downtown (Disney concert hall, Olvera Street or Chinatown for lunch, old theater tour)
*Farmer's Market/Grove
*shopping on Melrose, Montana and Robertson
*Getty Villa in Malibu or Getty museum (off 405)
*Pasadena (Huntington art gallery and gardens, shopping in Old Town)
* a day at the beach, consider Manhattan Beach

Can any fodorites give club advice or other suggestions for nightlife?
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 07:54 PM

Century City is a good location - not far from places to see and yet a little less expensive for hotels.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 01:00 AM
Original Poster

Hi guys,
thanks a mil for all your suggestions. I've had a look at the Farmers Daughter Hotel and it looks lovely, so we'll definitely check it out. Thyra I will definitely give your regards to Dublin (a very wet & cold Dublin I may add!!!), no fear of U2 playing a college campus these days!!!!
thanks again
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 06:37 AM

Since nightlife is most important to you, consider Sunset Plaza Hotel in West Hollywood. You can hit some blazing hot days in July if you're not by the ocean, so be sure to pick a hotel with a nice pool.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 06:49 AM

I've never stayed at the Farmers Daughter myself, it just looked fun and I like that part of the city myself.