Reload this Page >

Looking for quaint New England sea-side town

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2002, 06:11 AM
Lee

We'd like to spend a long weekend in a quaint sea-side town in the Cape Code area, but don't know where to do. I'm imagining a town on the water with shops, restaurants, a bed & Breakfast, docks, boats coming in, etc... Don't mind touristy - but don't want fast food restaurants and walmarts. Anyone know that kind of town?

Old May 3rd, 2002, 07:22 AM
bm

It's not Cape Cod, but Rockport, MA on Cape Ann (north of Boston) fits your bill. Beautiful small seaside town. http://www.rockportusa.com/

Old May 3rd, 2002, 07:39 AM
marge

There are so many places. Check out Woods Hole it's the gateway to Martha's Vineyard.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 07:55 AM
zootsi

Once you get off the main highways, most of the Cape could fit your description. The most built up areas are around Hyannis. Chatham and Wellfleet are two of my favorite towns, but there are plenty more.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 08:22 AM
Larry

Newport, RI (about an hour from the Cape Cod area).

Old May 3rd, 2002, 03:03 PM
Gene

As zootsi said, everyone of the 15 towns on the Cape has some village or area that would come close to matching your requirements. The two towns that most closely resemble what you desire are Chatham and Provincetown.

Chatham is charming, quiet and more family oriented then Provincetown which is more exotic, stays open till the wee hours and has many more shops, restaurants and things to do for adults. They both have everything you mentioned as desirable and there are no Wal*Marts or fast-food restaurants in either town.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 04:35 PM
Lots

Another vote for Chatham on the Cape. But I don't remember any "docks" there. It's definitely not a "fishing village." That sounds more Maine-y, like Perkins Cove in Ogunquit. I'd also second the vote for Rockport & Gloucester Mass, and add Newburyport, MA as another place that might fit your bill.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 04:44 PM
mjh

Falmouth on the Cape had a beautiful harbor area with boats and docks and was a nice little town.

In Maine Boothbay Harbor was really nice, but Lee didn't mention going to Maine -- maybe some other time.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 04:49 PM
tp

Here is one more vote for Rockport - try www.bedandbreakfast.com for a a good B&B - they have a message board that is really helpful! Good Luck

Old May 3rd, 2002, 05:19 PM
aaaaa

Love Chatham & Harwich- Truro is nicew also

Old May 3rd, 2002, 05:52 PM
Gene

I have to differ with Lots who said that Chatham was not a "fishing town". There are many fishing boats out of Chatham and you can see them bring in their "catch" at the Chatham Fish Pier just down the road from the Chatham Bars Inn. I love Chatham's bumper stickers: "Chatham is a Drinking town with a fishing problem" and "Chatham doesen't have a town drunk, we all take turns".

Old May 3rd, 2002, 08:15 PM
charles

Edgartown, on MArtha's VIneyard would be absolutely pefect. Fits all your citeria to a T.

Old May 4th, 2002, 03:58 AM
envy

Or take the high speed ferry (Hy-Line) out of Hyannis over to Nantucket. Just a one hour ride. A New England island does sound very romantic!