Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Looking for moderate price Hotel in NYC Manhattan area!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 10:44 AM
peg

Don't need anything fancy, just moderate rooms and clean. Prefer 100.00 per nite range if possible. Near subway or interesting sites within walking. Not looking for theater, taking kids to see WTC area and staten ferry, Rockefellar center, FAO etc..
Single Mom with kids, must be safe and touristy area please!!!
How far is it to China town from Manhattan area? Is Subway safe for day trip there??
Thanks All!!!

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 10:48 AM

Chinatown is in Manhattan. Take any of the subways to Canal Street. As for hotels in the $100 range, if you don't get it off priceline, don't stay there.

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 11:34 AM
thereuare

I agree with the above poster. Unfortunately, there isn't much in the $100 range in NYC, and most of what is available at that rate is undesirable.

Priceline is probably your best option, but a word of warning. Priceline only guarantees enough room for 2 people, although i haven't heard any stories about people having a problem if they were one or two adults along with children (ie- haven't heard of the hotel saying they couldn't check-in). However, many NYC hotels only offer one bed (enough for two people) and don't have enough room for a roll-away. If you really ran into a jam, don't know how old your kids are and if a "camp out on the hotel room floor" would be a fun idea or a bust.

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 12:12 PM
Rinny

Peg, you seem to be very aprehensive about your upcoming trip to New York. I suggest you get the travel book (and please don't take offense to this) New York City For Dummies. It will help you a lot and inform you more than you will realize. Good luck.

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 12:55 PM
Erin

Peg:
Try The Belvedere. We stayed there a couple of summers ago and loved it. I'm thinking of staying again the beginning of Jan. and the rate is $115. The room was fairly large, with a microwave and small refrigerator. Good area, close to Times Square. You'll have to take the subway to those sites you mentioned, however.

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 12:57 PM
Erin

Forgot to mention that rate for The Belvedere is through Quikbook.com
Try their web site--they have some really low rates.

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 01:27 PM
Howard

Keep in mind that the prices you'll get quoted are BEFORE taxes are added on. So, if you want to keep it under $100, you're really looking for a room that's no more than the high $80. Keep that in mind when you look.
And, yes, the subways are safe during the daytime.

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 03:05 PM
dcp

Try the President Hotel on W. 48th. It's a Best Western Hotel and should suit your purposes just fine. I stayed there a couple of years ago and would certainly do so again.

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 03:14 PM
Judy

Not to scare you off, but in addition to budgeting funds for NYC taxes as Howard mentions, in the event that you're coming in with a car (heaven forbid) be aware that you'll also be facing some pretty hefty garage charges.

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 07:44 PM
Alan

Hi, Peg!
Our family stayed cheap at the Madison, and, in spite of the warning above that anything under $100 is not to be looked at, we thought it was most acceptable (maybe our standards are low!). Our room for four for $88 a night included breakfast at the diner next door. The room was clean and let out onto the street, not a light well, the people were friendly, and the location, on 27th and Madison Avenue, quite convenient and close to a subway. It's not fancy, but it's great value.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 06:21 AM
John

Peg:

Red Roof Inn on 32nd street. New property, nice location. Ask the desk for the $99.00 rate! They will not offer it if you just say you want a room! If they have availabilty., you might get it...I did!
JOHN

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 06:35 AM
jvs

There is a good hotel near our apartment called "The Ellington" Its right next to riverside park on 112th st. between B'way and Riverside Drive (Upper West Side) 2 blocks from the subway. Im not sure if the hotels near Chinatown are all that clean and safe?? I might check into that further.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 08:59 AM
dot

November 2-4th we are coming to NYC for the marathon and staying at The Hayden Hall Hotel...117 W 79th St. They have a web site and it looks nice and the price was under $100.00 (before taxes). I don't know what it's really like but we shall find out next month - I'll let you all know.