Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Looking for hotel recommendations in La Jolla. a

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 01:19 PM
Jane

Looking for somewhere nice to stay in La Jolla for $125.00 per night or less. Would like something within walking distance to restaurants, shops, and beaches, if possible.
Does anyone know anything about the following hotels...
Empress Hotel - $99.00/nt
Best Western Inn By The Sea - 119.00/nt
Hotel La Jolla - 135.00/nt

Also, some of the chain hotels like the Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott and the Radisson
have some great weekend rates. I am assuming
this is because they are not located in the
village or beach areas?

We will be staying for 3 nights the last weekend in November. Any advise or recommendations would be appreciated.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 08:07 AM
Jane

Any suggestions?

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 04:49 PM
Janet

What are the addresses of those hotels. You have to be careful some people try to pass off other areas as La Jolla. I'll answer your post when I see the addresses.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 05:54 PM
karie

'la valencia' and 'parisi' are beautiful, though probably pricey. they are right in the heart of la jolla, though. i spoke with someone the other day who had stayed at 'la jolla cove' and liked it.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 07:35 PM
Jan

Jane,
My husband and I have stayed at La Jolla Cove suites and loved it. Yes it is older, and probably similar to a Best Western, but I think it has the BEST location. We would lay in bed and watch the waves roll into the cove.Just make sure to get an ocean view. They also have cereal and fruits and things for breakfast for a small fee. Nothing fancy, but perfect location. I know they have a web site too.

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 06:32 AM
Jane

The Empress is at 7766 Fay Avenue.
The BW Inn By The Sea is at 7830 Fay Avenue.
The Hotel La Jolla is at 7955 La Jolla Shores Drive.
The Radisson is at 3299 Holiday Court.
I know this is off the beaten path, but
it's 119.00/nt and breakfast and parking are free.
Checked out La Vallencia and Scripps, but they are out of our price range.

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 10:41 AM
xxx

my mom stayed at the best western. she was pleased with it. you don't have a view but within walking distance of everything. just a couple blocks from the beach.

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 11:17 AM
paul

La Jolla is a ritzy place so to pay $125 or less you will not get much. But you may know that already. The Radisson is not in the Village of La Jolla. Its about 10 minutes by car. The other chain hotels are near the Radisson and not in La Jolla where you seem to want to be. They cater mostly to a business crowd. There is even a Residence Inn in that area which is nice. If you can reach to about $200, consider The Sea Lodge with is in the La Jolla Shores, next to the village. Its fronts the ocean.

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 12:16 PM
Jane

Thanks for your recommendations. Unfortunately, coming from Canada,
the exchange rate for us is brutal...
125.00USD is the equivalent of 200.00CAD. Can't afford to go much higher. We were trying to stay somewhere that we could walk to restaurants, etc but didn't want to
end up at some place that's disgusting.
Having researched the different hotels
in the La Jolla area, the Empress and the Best Western seem to be in our price range and walking distance to the beach. I just got a bit concerned that
the price was too low...compared to the
other places we checked out. Basically,
we just want somewhere clean, comfortable and located in a good area.

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 08:48 PM
Dave

The Inn by the Sea has the best location. It is right downtown LaJolla and within walking distance of the cove. It is less than a block from the Hard Rock.

I used to stay there when I used to come to SD on business and it had the best rates. The rooms aren't great, but you are right on Prospect ave. For breakfastm there is an IHOP (probably the nicest one in the world) right across the street.

If you stay in LaJolla Shores, be aware that you are not in walking distance from downtown LaJolla.

Have fun.

Old Nov 2nd, 2001, 11:53 AM
toldham

as many of the posters suggest, it depends where you want to be--there are nice modern hotels back at the freeway (hyatt, etc), a five minute drive into town proper, they would be nicer than the average hotels in la jolla youa reconsidering, but would not have an ocean view

Old Nov 2nd, 2001, 02:17 PM
Eileen

Jane,

I live in La Jolla, about a block from the Cove, and I would definitely suggest either the Best Western or the Empress Hotel. Both are right in town and a very short walk to the beach (2-3 blocks). I personally think the Empress looks to be better than the Best Western.

Have a great trip!

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 12:29 PM
kevin

Eileen,

I just booked a condo rental at Archstone La Jolla, 8506 Villa La Jolla Drive. Can you tell me if this is a good area. Walking distance to beach, shopping, & restaurants???
Thanks

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 06:58 PM
Janet

The places on Fay Ave are the best locations for you. You can walk to the village, lots of restaurants and not too bad a walk to the beach. For the other person La Jolla Village Dr is nowhere near La Jolla or the beach.

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 03:40 PM
Eileen

Kevin,
Unfortunately, the location you mentioned at 8506 is not near the beach or La Jolla proper - it is closer to the business district of La Jolla, called the UTC area. It is close to the highway and is more than 5 miles from the La Jolla Cove (beach) area.

I'd see if you could cancel and rebook near the Cove.

Any more help needed, let me know!

Eileen

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 04:40 AM
kevin

Eileen,
Thanks for your input. Is this a nice/safe area? We want to stay in a 2 bedroom condo with a pool and couldn't find anything closer to the cove. Any recommendations?
Also, I don't mind driving a little bit around town. Any restaurants in La Jolla area that you think would be good? Thanksgiving dinner?
My wife and I are travelling with our 6 & 8 year old boys.

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 02:40 PM
Kimberly

Kevin,
You may want to check out www.LaJollacove.com. Located right on the cove.
K

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 08:59 PM
Dave

La Jolla Shores and LaJolla village are both very safe. The only major crimes I have ever heard there are some smash and grab jewelery store robberies.

The Shores has it's own little shopping area, but if you want ease, stay in the village. Lots of stores, restaurants, beach, cove...

Old Nov 9th, 2001, 09:30 AM
Eileen

Kevin,

I'd also recommend looking at www.lajollacove.com. There are links to a few accomodations on this site - one being the La Jolla Cove Suites, which is right on the cove, has a heated pool, has 1-4 bedroom suites with in-room kitchen, complimentary continental breakfast, etc. Sounds like a good bet for a family - please it is so close to the cove that your kids will love seeing the seals and pelicans out there. Also within walking distance to all the restaurants, shops, etc. in La Jolla.

If you don't have luck with that, try the La Jolla Cove Cottages - website is www.lajollacovecottages.com. These may be more expensive than the suites mentioned above (I'm not sure), but have an equally great location.

As for safety, La Jolla, both in the UTC area and by the cove, is very safe. For a vacation, the cove is more suitable because of its proximity to the ocean, restaurants, etc. The area where the Archstone is located is primarily office buildings (in fact, my office is there).

For restaurants for Thanksgiving, heck out this link:
http://sandiego.citysearch.com/section/restaurants
This is a Thanksgiving listing for San Diego area dining. There are some good recommendations here - George's At the Cove is expensive (see description at this website). There are lots of options along Prospect Street in La Jolla, which is a block away from the ocean at the cove. A good place for the family on Prospect Street other than for Thanksgiving would be The Spot (the have a great $19.95 lobster dinner on certain nights and good pizzas too). Although not in La Jolla, Point Loma Seafoods is great. It is at 2805 Emerson Street in Point Loma - it's very casual & great for lunch with fresh seafood, chowder, etc. There are picnic tables outside on a dock, which should be fun for kids. And, try Brockton Villa for breakfast - it is located on Caost Blvd. at the La Jolla Cove - try the Coast Toast (a version of French toast).

Hope this helps. Anything else, just let me know!

Eileen

Old Nov 9th, 2001, 11:21 AM
Kevin

Thanks all for your help. La Jolla cove Suites was already booked and the La Jolla Cove Cottages had only 1 bedroom units available.
We plan on legoland, birch aquarium, fleet science museum, zoo or animal park, maritime museum, and julian for a hike. We hope to spend a little time at the beach, but have been told the water is too cold to swim. Any suggestions/comments?
Eileen, thanks for the restaurant possibilities. The Spot sounds good, as does Coast Toast.
Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO