Looking for girls' weekend ideas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2003, 04:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live on the east coast and my friend lives on the west coast. We like to escape husbands/kids to shop, spa, dine, sightsee, etc. This year we're probably going in January. Any brilliant ideas for a great hotel or resort? Don't need the romantic packages I keep finding! Would love a 4 or 5-star resort at off-season rates!
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 04:10 AM
Dan

It's not really off-season, but how about New Orleans? It's roughly midway between the coasts and has lots of shopping, dining and sightseeing! You could stay at the Ritz Carlton, enjoy their spa, go clubbing at night, etc.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 06:14 AM

Hot Springs, Arkansas (about 1 hour from Little Rock) would be halfway for both of you. The spas are legendary and are the REAL thing! Downtown has lots of cute shops full of antiques. The Arlington Hotel is one of the better-known ones, but there are many to choose from.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 07:19 AM

I was going to suggest the Sonnenalp Resort and Spa in Vail, CO, then I saw that you want a January off-season. Not Vail! But consider this place for a mud season (late April) trip. My wife and her sister go there each year to get pampered, have great food, and catch up during a girls' weekend. My wife then took me this year for my birthday and I was blown away by the amazing service and hospitality, not to mention the location...
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 09:34 AM

I second flopmeister's suggestion. Stayed at Sonnenalp this past December and it was fantastic! The staff is wonderful and the property is also!
Have fun!
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 10:53 AM

Lake Austin Spa in Texas! Check it out at lakeaustin.com. It's beautiful (in the Texas Hill Country), the spa is great, plenty of activities and perfect for catching up with friends. Not to mention the award-winning food. Austin is also a very, very cool town to shop and it has incredible nightlife. It's known as the 'Live Music Capital of the World'. I would recommend staying at either The San Jose (it's the hip spot -celebrities stay there) or The Driskill (posh, downtown). January won't be that cold either. You could stay in Austin for a day or two, then head 30 minutes over to the Lake Austin Spa for 3-4 days of relaxation. It would be great.
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 11:01 AM

A friend of mine has "escaped" to Miraval. I think it is near Tucson, AZ.