Looking for Georgetown Hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 10:25 AM
Juli

Hi:
We will be visiting my brother in law at American University and need some advice on Hotel rooms. I had priced out through a discount site,The Latham and the Georgetown Inn. Both were poorly reviewed on Fodors. I was going to book Latham but now am hesitant since most of the Fodors info has been dead on. Does anyone have any suggestions? We wanted to stay close to that area of town.
Thanks in advance

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 10:43 AM
kayd

Since there are no hotels in the immediate AU area, look at the Dupont Circle - West End area, just east of Georgetown (roughly Conn. Ave. to 26th Street between K and S Streets). Plenty of choices in all price ranges: two Marriotts, Park Hyatt, Westin, Jurys, Barcelo, Ritz, Embassy Suites. Any would be fine for not-too-inconvenient access to AU via taxi or Metro+Mass. Ave. bus.
If you will have a car, consider places in Maryland where the parking would be free (or at least less than $25/day).

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 06:48 PM
Christina

I don't consider Georgetown that close to AU, but it is in comparison to some place in a much farther part of town, that's true. It depends on your budget, but I've had business colleagues who have stayed at a suites hotel on Pennsylvania at 25th which is on the edge of Georgetown right near Foggy Bottom metro and very nice -- I think it is now called Washington Suites. Some others stayed at the River Inn in Georgetown and liked it ok. There is a hotel right on that circle near the Foggy Bottom metro also, which is decent -- One Washington Circle. The only hotel I can think of up towards AU is the Savoy Suites near the cathedral, you might look into that, although it isn't right near a metro stop (has shuttle to one, though, I think). There is a Holiday Inn up Wisconsin but I don't think it's anything great.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 03:58 AM
gail

If you are looking at Foggy bottom area, we stayed at Washington Suites Georgetown (not actually Georgetown, but on perimeter - 3 blocks from Foggy Bottom stop). Price was right, staff excellent, hallways a little tired, but rooms - all 2 room suites with full kitchen, continental breakfast included.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 03:57 PM
E.

May I ask what your budget is? I have seen rooms at Jury's priced at $99 per night, and the Dupont Circle metro stop is on the red line which connects to AU...

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 05:21 PM
Seamus

Try a peek at www.quikbook.com - I've had great luck in DC with them. Right now they are posting special rates at a new Hilton Garden Inn that is literally across the street from the McPherson Square Metro stop (Orange and blue lines), and usually list several properties in various price ranges.
AU is on the Red line, so you may want to look in the Dupont Circle area to avoid having to transfer at Netro Center.
Here's something from AU's wesite at http://www.american.edu/maps/
"The closest Metro stop to American University is Tenleytown/AU (also called Tenley Circle) on the Red Line. Metro buses run regularly from Tenley Circle to American's campus, less than a mile away."