Looking for fun in Charlotte, NC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 05:44 PM
Debbie

Hi!
I've never been to Charlotte and will be driving up from Atlanta for the Springsteen concert in December.

Do you recommend I stay somewhere near the Coliseum or downtown--or another location? Any suggestions on a specific hotel?

We're thinking of making a whole weekend of this little road trip--what's a good area to go out in? Restaurants?? We're in our 30's and consider ourselves fun people!

Thanks!
Debbie

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 03:35 AM
Gretchen

You might consider bidding on Priceline for a hotel--3* at least. The SouthPark area has good hotels as does downtown. It isn't difficult getting to the coliseum and I don't think you want to stay out there.
South End is a good area to go out in as well as downtown.

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 06:47 AM
SA

Stay Uptown, there is nothing out by the Coliseum. If you want an older hotel try the Hotel Dunhill, that puts you right in the middle of nightlife & better restaurants. You can walk to everything from the Dunhill, I'm not sure why you would want to stay in the Southpark area either unless you want to be close to a mall. SouthEnd & South park are 2 different areas. You can ride the trolley to SouthEnd from Uptown.

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 11:51 AM
Debbie

Hi Gretchen, Hi SA!

Now that you've helped me narrow down the neighborhoods--it sounds like Uptown is what we're looking for...am going to bid on Priceline and see what I can get. The Dunhill rates are a bit higher than I'm hoping for.

Can you recommend some fun pubs or places w/live music or atmosphere? What about restaurants? We pretty much eat everything and anything as long as it's tasty!

Thanks!
Debbie

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 08:34 PM
ttt

TTT!

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 05:45 AM
SA

You'll be close to most of the better restaurants uptown, LaVecchia's for seafood, Ri-Ra's (Irish Pub), Cosmos (Tapas & nightlife), Monticello (in the Dunhill) + Connellys, Fox & Hounds & a whole string of bars are right there as well. Most of this is around 6th & 7th streets in the Trade & Tryon area (if you are looking @ a map.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 08:29 AM
Gretchen

Our absolute favorite restaurant (not uptown but you have a car) is Patou on Park Rd. It is as true a French bistro as you can find. In the South Park area (actually Phillips Place) Dean & Delucca has a nice little wine bar with piano, if you want something like that.
South End has a string of places to eat/drink also. It is close to uptown.
If you bid on Priceline you could consider the South Park area--nice hotels out there also and it is a 15 minute drive to the Coliseum and 15 minutes to uptown. Just to give you another option. Keep your "stars" high.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 09:06 AM
SA

Me thinks Gretchen may be a SouthPark snob. Patou is OK but very overpriced. Same w/Dean & Deluca. Bonterra has a much better wine bar & Howl @ the Moon downtown has the dueling pianos. Gretchen (which is typical of the folks in the 'burbs) is going to have you getting in your car to go to the bathroom. Stay in Uptown.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 10:03 AM
ncgrrl

See who's playing at the Double Door. Can get some fantastic musicians there. Might hope that some of the E Street Band drops by for a set.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 10:10 AM
Sa

ncgrrl is onto something...

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 10:10 AM
Sa

ncgrrl is onto something...

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 04:16 PM
Debbie

Hi again,
I hope I'm not being a pest but just went on Priceline and wasn't sure what areas I should bid on. I know to try for South Park but is Uptown part of Downtown? I know this sounds like the most ridiculous question but their map was too vague and I'm not sure what priceline region Tryon and Trade btwn 6th and 7th falls under...I tried to compare w/mapquest but from what I can tell, Tryon and Trade run a long way.

This is how priceline breaks down Charlotte:

Airport South - Coliseum
Charlotte - South Park
Charlotte Airport (CLT)
Charlotte South
Downtown Charlotte
Independence
Matthews
North Charlotte
Piper Glen - Ballantyne
University Area

Thanks for being patient w/me!
Debbie

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 05:47 AM
SA

The Charlotteans refer to downtown as "Uptown" it is one & the same.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 06:35 AM
Debbie

Thanks SA!!! I appreciate all your help