Asheville hotels end of May?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2006, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought I might should move this from my the original posting.

OK, my wonderful NC connections ..... change of plans, so need your help ASAP, please!!

We're now selling our house (yay! moving to the country), & will be moving around the same time frame, so $$$ is an even bigger deal now for this trip. Would rather have more $$$ to go into the new house (& stuff to do there), & don't want to cancel this trip as we've been looking forward to it ..... & NEVER go anywhere together w/o our 2 girls! So, we need to downgrade our hotel to accomodate the trip budget. We'd decided on the Princess Anne Inn, but the rates aren't gonna work now ..... please help?!!

We're looking to spend no more than $100 per night; I've done some research online & think it might be down to the Country Inns & Suites on Brevard? Any feedback on this or alternate suggestions? See from previous postings where Tunnel Rd is probably not the best idea; driving everywhere isn't going to be a problem, although it would be nice to be able to walk to something, that's not life-or-death. Biggest requests are non-smoking, clean & quiet rooms (& bathrooms!), comfy beds, decent breakfast..... from what I can tell online, these shouldn't be too terribly hard to fulfill, but wanted some local feedback, please. We're still going to blow the bucks for a day at the GPI (& thanks for the tip SAnParis - they let me make reservations for that Friday early), & the Biltmore, plan to hit downtown, eat A LOT of good food, drive around some, etc. Figured we wouldn't be spending THAT much time in our room, so preferred to sacrifice here vs elsewhere.... hey, we'll be on an anniversary trip not our honeymoon - seeing new sights is more cool than staying holed up in a hotel room, right? LOL!!

And, no pressure or anything, but we'll be there the end of this month, so need to make my reservations ASAP - sorry all, but knew I could count on your brilliant assistance!

Thanks again!

Old May 2nd, 2006, 02:48 AM

Brevard Road area is sort of suburban ick i.e. mall, shops, traffic but if you drive about one mile past that you get to the Arboreteum and Blue Ridge Parkway. Best Western downtown isn't wonderful but I've read room are pretty clean and if you ask for one not on the highway side - quiet - you could walk to downtown....have you thought about pricelining downtown Asheville - since I live here I don't know if they let you priceline it for downtown.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Leahinsc!

We're used to driving everywhere, so driving into downtown area isn't that much of a problem, if need be. And, no, I've never done the priceline thing - not really sure how it all works, but will look into it. Litespeed also recommended a "roomsavers" website - y'all are just a fount of good info!!

OK, so you think location-wise that the Brevard Rd area is boring, but probably OK, comfort-wise? Cause there's a Country & a Fairfield Inn there? We can hop in the car to combat boring suburbia, ya know?

Old May 2nd, 2006, 06:33 AM

Asheville is a small city - or big town. No matter where you stay, anything you want to see is a short drive away. I wouldn't stress on the location. Just find a hotel deal. Personally, I do not like Fairfields. Enjoy your anniversary.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 08:06 AM

Priceline will let you ask for downtown, but the area also includes Holiday Inn Sunspree, so that would blow it for someone bent on walking. Which I realize the OP is not....just for info. I have never won a priceline bid in Asheville, though...not sure why.

Roomsavers only allows walk-in use of their coupons.

Yes, you can drive anywhere in no time in Asheville, so don't stress about the location. That said, I find Brevard road to be better than Tunnel road which feels icky to me. Only if you think you might enjoy too much great Spanish wine at Zambra or high gravity beer at Jack of the Woods do you need to worry about walking back to your room!
Old May 2nd, 2006, 04:34 PM

I'll second Brevard Road.

There is a cluster of motels just off the interstate at Brevard Road. Less than a quarter of a mile from the motels is Harbor Inn Seafood (family, southern-style), Ryans (buffet chain), China Garden (my favorite Chinese buffet), Apollo Flame (Greek/Italian), etc. About a mile from the hotel cluster (in the opposite direction from the mall) is the farmers market and the Moose Cafe - both these places should give you a taste of country living

The Biltmore Square Mall is also close by so you can catch a movie, mall-stuff.

LEAHINSC mentioned the Arboretum. I was there last Sunday. Very pretty and very manageable.

Mike Honeycutt
Old May 2nd, 2006, 04:55 PM

I'm sure Mike H. is a nice guy but none of the restaurants is representative of Asheville cuisine and should be avoided unless you have no other options and don't want to drive downtown.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Great tips all!

Based on the driving not being an issue (we live in central GA - you drive to the mailbox!), I believe we've settled on the Country Inns on Brevard - thanks to all of y'all.

And thanks for the restaurant tidbits - they sound yummy!

Old May 2nd, 2006, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

OK, Leahinsc - give me some food pointers, OK? Please? I'm a good cook that likes to cook - we like lots of different types & have open minds, but really aren't the stuffed-shirt, formal types.... if that helps.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 05:06 PM

There are delicious restaurants in downtown Asheville, but I agree with Mike that the Greek/Italian restaurant on Brevard is one of my favorites in the Asheville area.

And, jamibc44, if "you are moving to the country" and currently "drive to the mailbox", where the heck do you live in central GA? What's "the country" from driving to the mailbox?
Old May 3rd, 2006, 03:15 AM

There are lots of posts on chowhound.com about asheville restaurants. Asheville is a town of very few "stuffed shirt" restaurants. If you like creative cuisine I'd try Salsa, Zambra's and Limones - all downtown. For more comfort/southern cooking - Tupelo Honey. For pizza - Barley's. The Greek place on Brevard which is one of several in the area owned by the same family. They are nothing special - speedy service, big portions and that's about it - you'll get the run of the mill gyros and greek salads....nothing special. If you want better greek/italian food go to Pomidoro's on Tunnel Road or Stony Knob in Weaverville.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 04:23 AM

Well, at least 2 Fodorites evidently like "nothing special" Greek food. It's an option if you are staying out on Brevard Road and want an option close to your hotel. Traveling with your two girls, you may be interested in good food, speedy service and large portions when others are not.

As you "do" Asheville, consider the Grovewood Cafe for lunch if you are at the Grove Park Inn around lunchtime. Yummy.

I make sure to be near the Grove Park before dinner time in winter to rock in front of the roaring fire in the lobby and having a drink and appetizer in the lobby bar. I'm not a big fan of the restaurants at the Grove Park, but you can't beat a lunch on the stone porch with a great mountain view.

Downtown we like the Laughing Seed (which I consider an Asheville classic) and Doc Chuy's Noodle House. There's a Doc Chuy's in Athens, GA too so you may have already eaten at one.

Zambra's is an interesting tapas experience. The last time I ate there the food and service wasn't that great.

I love the Asheville Wine Market downtown and often stop in on my way through Asheville just to pick up a case of the inexpensive French table wine they are recommending at the time to bring home.

If you come back for a special dinner or even afternoon tea, consider Gabrielle's at the Richmond Hill Inn.

For a wide menu with something to satisfy everyone in your party, stop by Tripp's just outside downtown. It has a Houston's type menu - something for everyone.

Those are my suggestions. They may not meet the specs of Fodorite's "foodies" but meet your specs of Asheville options for the four of you as you take a more budget concious trip.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 04:44 AM

Sicne we have 3 kids and take them out to eat pretty frequently I'll stand by most of my suggestions - even with kids. It would be easy to eat cheaply and plentifully at Salsas for 4 of you well under $50...same for Pomidoro's, Barley's and Stony Knob - depending of course on ordering wine/beer. Limones and Zambra's are much more expensive.
Stone Ridge which is on Brevard is ok - HUGE portions and very noisy. Again...why sacrifice taste when you can get better quality at the same price?
Old May 3rd, 2006, 06:37 AM

What Leah said.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

NO KIDS (YAY!!!)! This is a strictly mom & dad trip, a treat to ourselves as a late anniversary & way late honeymoon. So that's a moot point, but thanks anyway. Sure we'll go back at some point w/ the girls.

And thank all - I'll definitely check out the chowhound site.

Y'all are great!
Old May 4th, 2006, 01:59 PM

I was reading a special Travel issue of Atlanta magazine this morning. They recommend the new Table restaurant in Asheville.

www.tableasheville.com

The article also mentioned shopping in the Grovewood shops next to the Grove Park Inn (where Grovewood Cafe is located)

www.grovewood.com
www.grovewwodcafe.com

Enjoy Asheville!