Search

Looking for an open-minded city...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2005, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for an open-minded city...

Hi,

Which cities are good for an inter-racial couple to live? Looking for a city that is not merely tolerant but actually welcomes the differences... Due to affordability issues, we have to rule out some obvious choices like NYC, San Francisco, LA, DC, and Chicago.

Thank you.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 09:50 AM

Are you looking for big cities? Philly is another open-minded one. A little cheaper than NY, and with some fun neighborhoods like South Street and Manayunk. Sounds like you don't even have a coast picked out, but if you like the NYC area, you may also want to look into Hoboken, NJ. A great mini-city, and a 10-minute train ride to Manhattan. Hope that helps (at least for the northeast)!
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 10:02 AM

Atlanta-I lived in a Apt building in Midtown and everyone seemed to be from a different country....the married couple below my apt was inter-racial, her Asian, him Caucasian...my husband (at the time) was from Mexico...many people from Africa, South America, Europe, etc all lived in that building and we only had 40 units I was always free to be myself in ATL, you will see all races, religions, sexualty preferences and I always felt like being "different" was kinda the norm there.. everyone fits in~In my opinion~this is based on my personal experience...
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 10:04 AM

I've only visited, but the first city that came to my mind was Atlanta as well.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 10:29 AM

If you're willing to cross the border, Montreal is about as diverse as any city anywhere. Couples of every ethnic and racial combination are very commonplace and do not stand out as unusual.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 10:38 AM

Providence, R.I., Columbus, Ohio, Atlanta, Miami, New Orleans, Austin, Seattle, Portland, Ore.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 10:45 AM

Sarasota is another area you might wish to consider. My wife and I live in the Lakewood Ranch area and find it to be wonderfully diverse. Beyond that we have beautiful beaches, extraordinary cultural amenities, excellent restaurants, etc. The only negative I can think of would be the "affordability" issue. Prices are not yet as high as NY and the others you mentioned but we are getting there.
Come visit us sometime.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 10:47 AM

Atlanta would be a good choice.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 11:07 AM

Portland Oregon prides itself in being just as, or more "open-minded" than San Francisco and LA. In fact, some of us here think they've taken it a bit too far. My family is inter-racial, and none of us have ever felt anything other than welcomed.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 11:42 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Seattle, Washington or Portland, Oregon
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 11:57 AM

I wouldn't put Seattle really high on the affordability list, though. It's not Manhatten, but it's hardly inexpensive.
Portland would be less expensive. Not as many Asian, though.
Is Sooshi an Asian American "handle?" What inter-racial mix are we talking about here? (Does it matter? Maybe....)
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 11:59 AM

Asheville, Montreal, Toronto, Key West, Miami.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 12:05 PM

Houston, TX
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all. It seems that Fodor's board is full of people with diverse backgrounds and ideas, which is wonderful. Orcas, yes, I am Asian and my fiance is Caucasian. We just want to move to a city where we can be ourselves and be happy. We prefer big cities with mild climate, which unfortunately rules out most of the Northeastern and Canadian cities.

Some cities that have come up in the replies so far are the ones we've recently started looking into as well. They are Atlanta, Portland, Seattle, and Austin, but we just started researching and are open to other ideas.

Thank you again!
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 01:24 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
A caucasian and asian couple not unusual in Seattle. While some neighborhoods may be more expensive I find the city generally speaking to be affordable (I've lived here 20 years on Capitol Hill).
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 02:13 PM

Honolulu would fit your requirements to a "T" . . . except the affordability issue.

Of the cities suggested so far, I only have personal experience living in Austin. However, having previously been part of a couple of the same interracial mix that you're speaking of, I can say that Austin was a nice place to live.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 03:51 AM

Both Austin and Houston meet your criteria. Houston especially if you want to live in a city with a large and diverse Asian community.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 03:58 AM

New Orleans may be a good choice. The city is majority African American and has a large Asian population (mostly Vietnamese, I think) as well. It's also a "live and let live" city and locals don't seem terribly concerned about the race, age or sex of your partner!
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 04:37 PM

I think you would enjoy Atlanta a lot. I've lived there for most of my life and will be returning in May after a two-year stint in Nashville.

The other poster who said you will encounter people from just about every race/culture/creed/orientation is right on. Atlanta has it all and seems to welcome it. A friend and former co-worker of mine is part of an interacial couple and they feel right at home here. In fact, they live in the same building we're moving into.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 04:54 PM

I don't want to draw lightning strikes with this comment, but regarding Atlanta...

I agree 100% with Atlanta per se. It has fallen victim of suburban sprawl and I would be a bit more cautious regarding some of the 'burbs.

Midtown, Downtown, anywhere inside the Perimeter (Hwy 285 that loops the city) you will find a very diverse population. That is not necessarily the case the further you move out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -