Looking for a Weekend getaway from Washington, DC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2004, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband will be staying in DC for 30 days on business and we were looking for somewhere to go for a weekend to get him away from the city. We were thinking about The Homestead, but the website indicates that's a 4 hour drive. Does anyone know how long it would take by train? Any suggestions for something within an 1 & 1/2 hr drive or train ride from DC? Or, we could fly if necessary. We will just have a short amount of time and don't want to spend it all on travel time. We love historical inns, old towns and good restaurants.
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 02:37 PM

If you don't mind spending beaucoup bucks, try The Inn at Perry Cabin on the Eastern Shore, or the Inn at Little Washington in Rappahannock County, Virginia. GREAT FOOD at both locations, relaxed country inn living, and lots to do in the environs.

I particularly like the local winery scene in Virginia -- it's like Napa County was 20 years ago -- small, friendly, beautiful properties,
excellent views.

There are nice smaller B&B's out there if the sticker shock of Inn at Little Washington is too much.

Old Jul 20th, 2004, 03:47 PM
LN

If you love historical inns, old towns, and good restaurants then you'd love Annapolis Md plus it's only 45 minutes away!!
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 04:52 PM
bluestructure

Annapolis!!

Old Jul 20th, 2004, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info! I checked out the websites for both the Inn at Little Washington and the Inn at Perry Cabin. Although they would be absolutely perfect, they are out of our price range. We would like to spend around $225/night. Do you have any recommendations in that price range for the winery area in Virginia? Would that be around Washington, VA? I'm going to do a search now for Annapolis. Any specific recommendations for places to stay? I also ran across the website for L'Auberge Provencale in White Post, VA. Has anyone stayed there recently?Thanks for all your suggestions.
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 05:19 PM

Where to start...there are so many options for weekend trips...

Baltimore, MD - if you're baseball fans, check out an Orioles game. The aquarium is also great.

Charlottesville, VA - if you're interested, check out the UVA campus. Monticello (Jefferson's home) is an interesting visit. P Buckley Moss is a local artist who has become quite popular - she has a museum nearby.

Historic Triangle (Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown) offers a wealth of activities.

Virginia Beach is a nice trip if you're there during beach weather. Even if it's cooler, there are several museums and parks in the Hampton Roads area.

Much closer (more like a day trip) are Bull Run and Occoquan. Bull Run is a Civil War site, Occoquan is a waterfront shopping district.
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 05:29 PM

What about Middleburg, VA? Check out tripadvisor.com for ideas on where to stay. The "attractions" tab lists several wineries in the area. It's in a beautiful (and historic) section of VA - right in the middle of hunt country.
Just about an hour away from DC
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 06:04 PM
LN

In Annapolis there's the Marriott and that's on the harbor - great place from which to wander around town. There's a neat waterfront pub where you can sit and watch the boats and look out at the Naval Academy.

Another good hotel would be Loew's on West Street and very close to Church Circle and State Circle.

On State Circle there's a beautiful old B inn called State House Inn which would be lovely to visit. There's an Annapolis.com site which will give you many of the B&B's and hotels.

For good seafood there's Carroll's creek, O"Leary's, and the Chart House all available and waterfront.

It's a great walking town because there's always places to stop at and you just can't get tired. If you desire there's a trolly tour bus to get around on.
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 08:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I think I've about narrowed it down to The State House Inn in Annapolis, or something in Middleburg, VA, not sure which inn yet. Annapolis is appealing because it looks like we could probably get there by train and maybe not even need a car. But the hunt country, winery area sounds so beautiful....
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 07:36 AM

There's some great options for getaways. We were in DC for an extended time too and tried so many! Our favorites were--

Charlottesville - a beautiful area with interesting sights (Monticello, UVA) and near some wineries. And try a hot air balloon ride! For accomodations, try Keswick Hall or the Boar's Head Inn.

St. Michael's -- on the eastern Maryland shore. Can't remember the name of the place where we stayed but it was on the water and so relaxing. Great shops and seafood! The summer traffic over the bridge on week ends can get pretty heavy.

Annapolis - wonderful town, Naval Academy, great seafood, close proximity! Try a 1/2 day cruise of the bay.

If any time soon, you might find Virginia Beach pretty crowded.

have fun!
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 07:46 AM

Don't know what you like to do, but if you head Middleburg way you can also do Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park. Gorgeous drive, day hikes, etc. In fact, that's how I discovered Middleburg. My nephew wanted to to to Shenandoah. I'm going back one day to just drive around the small, historic towns, check out antique stores, etc. If you or your husband are history buffs you will be in heaven!
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 07:52 AM
LN

I hate to burst a bubble BUT Annapolis is not accessible by train. You CAN take the subway out to Lanham and then take a bus out to Annapolis.

Don't let a little detail like this spoil a jaunt to a great little city!
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 09:31 AM

We've stayed at the Boars Head Inn -- it is very nice.

There used to be a B&B right in Washington, VA called Heritage House. We have stayed there, too.

Also, I believe Tarara Vineyards outside Leesburg has a B&B. It is less than 40 miles outside DC, but a world away.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 10:40 AM
Syv

Please also consider the Pennsylvania-Dutch / Amish area around Lancaster, PA. It's 3 hrs or less away & SO much to do and see in beautiful scenic farm country.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 10:51 AM

Both Grey Ghost and Oasis vineyards are between Warrenton and Washington, VA. And someone just told me about Kelly's Ford Inn out that way as well. Food is apparently as good as "The Inn at Little Washington" but half the price.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 01:08 PM
bluestructure

Yeah, no trains to Annapolis. You can take metro out to New Carrollton Station and perhaps a bus. I would check Metro website, not sure what times this bus runs.

Old Jul 21st, 2004, 01:34 PM
bluestructure

Actually, if you check mtamaryland.com there is buses that run from Annapolis to downtown DC but I think its only during the week for commuters. Greyhound does stop in Annapolis everyday going to/from DC, I think it around 31.00 so thats certainly an option. If you need any other help or Q's let us know.

Old Jul 21st, 2004, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for all the suggestions. It sounds like we would be better off driving anyway since there is so much to see.