Long term parking Harlem

Apr 29th, 2015, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Long term parking Harlem

This is not really a travel question as such but thought some New Yorkers might be able to help. My DD is now living in a co-op in Harlem (5th floor walkup). She has a car which she needs to travel to music gigs, and to carry her keyboard, PA speakers etc. She is finding it extremely difficult finding parking after a gig at 1.30- 2am. She was Facebook messaging the other night, just driving around trying to find a park. She eventually found one but had to get up at 7am to shift the car.

She has looked in to getting a long term space but the cheapest she has found is $ 300 per month. Any ideas where she could find something cheaper than this. Outdoor is fine, the car is just parked on the street most of the time.
Apr 29th, 2015, 06:16 PM

She was Facebook messaging while driving around???????????
Apr 29th, 2015, 06:50 PM

300 bucks a month is pretty cheap for parking in ny.
Apr 29th, 2015, 07:45 PM
Original Poster

Too expensive for her jubilada, she is a musician remember!!!!
Apr 30th, 2015, 04:28 AM

WellI live on the upper west side and out parking in more than $700 per month per car. And that isn't a private spot - that's being parked nose to tail in a line of 4 cars that are contiually move by the statt so other drivers can get their cars. (We tell them in advance when we won;t use then for several days and you have to call 30 minutes in advance so they can get the car out when you need it.)

Having your own actual space is sometimes possible - if one of the uppercrust buildings has a free spot. Rentable for about $1K per month - or can often be bought for more than $40K.

$300 is dirt cheap. But, there should be some deals coming up, since many people start taking vacations in June and the lots offer deals through September. There used to be outdoor lots on the far west side uptown for, I believe $195 per month - but I haven;t seen that offered for several years.

She could google for super cheap parking uptown - or just drive around and look for space the way most people with limited budgets do. And yes, getting up early to move the car is part of the deal. She could look for nearby streets where the car doesn;t have to be moved until 10 or 11 am - but that might mean parking quite a bit farther from her home.
Apr 30th, 2015, 04:35 AM

If she googles there is a place near 155th St that has parking for $200 per month. Any less than that - $150 or so - seems to be only in the Bronx.

Sorry - this is life in NYC.

As I said - people with low budgets just get used to watching the street cleaning calendar and moving their car as needed. And when I was street parking I often had to drive around for 20 minutes or more to get a spot even at 8 or 9 pm.
Apr 30th, 2015, 04:48 AM

I'm afraid to say that $300 is really really cheap (as in discounted cheap). Plus, I think what makes this more difficult is that there aren't very many garages in Harlem. I live on the east side and have a lot more options because Mount Sinai is in my neighborhood, so there are tons of garages, but the basic (non-discounted) rate is still $400, and that's before tax.

If she does the actual math, she may discover that even at $20 per ride, it's cheaper to take a taxi back home than to own a car in NYC. Or she could join Enterprise's car-share program and get a car by the hour only when she needs it (this includes gas and insurance, and it's cheaper than the Hertz or Zipcar options).
Apr 30th, 2015, 04:51 AM

There are still a few outdoor lots. There's one by me on Lexington and 100th St. that costs about $200 per month. However, the outdoor long-term lots are really geared more to day commuters and are locked tight by 10 or 11pm.

She may find more garages around Columbia U. and St. Luke's Roosevelt. Those professors and doctors still love to drive!!
Apr 30th, 2015, 08:53 AM

The sad fact is that if she can't afford $300 a month to park in NYC, she can't afford a car in NYC.

She should talk to a CPA about whether she could deduct the cost of a rental or zipcar as a business expense in her jobs. You can't deduct commuting costs, but a series of one-time gigs for different customers might be deductible on Schedule C, which is a great place to have deductions.

I am not an account, and this is not professional advice
Apr 30th, 2015, 09:02 AM

I was thinking the same thing Ackislander. If she can't afford to park a car, can she afford to HAVE a car?

Using Uber and taxis will likely save her $$$
Apr 30th, 2015, 09:38 AM

Am I the only one concerned here?

Her NY neighbors can't afford her driving around the hood texting in the middle of the night, driving while looking for parking!!! She's been in the states long enough to know better. It's against the law and has killed far too many.
Apr 30th, 2015, 09:46 AM

My understanding is that she doesn't have a car - but a van for her musical equipment that she needs to transport - so I'm not at all sure a cab or uber would work for her.

However, this is just the cost of life in the city.

She needs to either stump up the $200 - plus tax per month - if that lot has places and is open 24 hours (many budget places aren;t) or spend a lot of time driving around finding places to parka and getting up in the am to move for the street sweepers.
Apr 30th, 2015, 09:51 AM

nyt: I thought it was a van too, but the OP says 'car'.
Apr 30th, 2015, 10:08 AM

Well, she used to have a van in previous posts, I believe. Perhaps has traded in for a car - but not sure how that would work for musical instruments.
Apr 30th, 2015, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone so useful tips here. When she was still married she had a van, she is now on her own and has a cheap car which she uses to transport musical gear to and from gigs.
Most of her is gigs are in Harlem, but some are in NJ and some in Brooklyn. I think she has realised that around $ 300 is what she has to pay. There is a parking building a couple of blocks away for # 325. She does definitely need a car.

Good to know about that there could be cheaper lots in the summer, I will let her know about that.

Inakauaidavidababy she sent one tex message to me when she was stopped in traffic. Once I realised she was still in the car I didn't message her again until she was home.
Apr 30th, 2015, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Ackislander I am her CPA, she does deduct all vehicle expenses on Schedule C, and would be able to deduct parking expenses also.
Apr 30th, 2015, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

The place she has found is $ 325 including taxes.
Apr 30th, 2015, 05:48 PM

That is as good as it gets I suspect. There is a good reason most people don't have cars in the city.

If most of her gigs are in Harlem it is hard to see how having a car is cost effective.

Does she carry all her hear up 4 flights? That must be some work.
May 1st, 2015, 05:18 AM

If she has found an indoor parking space for $325, that's a great deal. She should jump on it.

FYI: She'll be able to apply for a partial parking tax abatement if she can prove she resides in Manhattan.
May 1st, 2015, 05:53 AM

Move upstate! Parking is free around here... Rents are cheaper too!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO