Search

Long Island

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2001, 05:05 PM
marilyn

Long Island

Heading to Long Island for a family vacation in June! We will be staying with relatives in Watermill..East End! I am 22 years old, and need a diversion from the old folks!! I will be there for three weeks, and I am from LA!! Where to go? What to do? Let me know your suggestions! Thanks!

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 05:32 AM
Ess

Marilyn, head to Southampton which is one town over. There are a lot of bars/clubs/restaurants and shopping in the area. There is a local, free weekly publication called Dan's Papers which you can pick up in any local store or restaurant. Ask your relatives to mail you the latest issue, if possible, the week before your arrival. It will have all the local listings of things to do, movies, clubs, performances in the area. Also, there are dance clubs on the beach on Dune Road in Hampton Bays (one town west of Southampton). I haven't been to them because I'm too old (I'm 42) - but they are filled with your age group. Not sure what you have in mind. But that's a start.

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 05:18 PM
marilyn

Thank you for your very good advice! My relatives said Dan's Paper's is the best and are sending them along....thanks!

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 11:36 AM
Dana

I am jealous! I grew up on L.I. and spent a summer working in East Hampton (8 years ago but who's counting!). There are great bars in East hampton and the drive to Montauk is just a few minutes. East Hampton and Montauk have some great bars and also great great shopping. Keep your eyes open for celebs, you know that a lot of them live out on the east end.

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 11:37 AM
Dana

Oh how could I forget, the beach!!! It is beautiful. THe water will not be too warm in June, however. Have fun!

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 11:46 AM
t

For laid back fun head to Montauk. Bars include Shagwong (good fri. and sat. nights) and a few others sprinkled around the main drag. Beaches are nice and not very crowded and you don't have to pay $10 to park like you do in Southhampton. Check out surfers at Ditch Plains beach (ask local how to get there).

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 11:57 AM
Ess

The drive to Montauk Point is more than just a few minutes, but it is definitely worth the trip, for the lighthouse and the views over the water, as well as the bars. Have fun!

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 05:34 PM
Steve

As a long time Long Islander, the Hamptons become a party from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Notable nightclubs include CPI'S (The Canoe Place Inn) and the Boardy Barm.

The beaches on Dune Road are the greatest.

Walk through all of the old tows on the East End. Go to Shelter Island and Greenport. See the wineries etc....