Long Beach CA Airport Question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2012, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be attending a convention at the Long Beach Convention Center and LGB airport isn't an option. Which airport is closer LAX, Ontario, or John Wayne? There will be four of us and we will need ground transportation. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 12:17 PM

The distances from the airports to the convention center may not be as important to your choice as the time of day of your arrival. If you are arriving early in the day, you are more likely better off going to LAX because you will be traveling against the rush hour traffic. Conversely, at any time after 3:00 p.m., you would be better off traveling from SNA to the vicinity of the convention center.
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 01:52 PM

I'd chose Orange County (SNA, John Wayne) because it's less chaotic and has easy freeway access.

LAX would be my second choice because it's so busy and always churning.

Ontario is too far away and not convenient.
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Thank you!! We will fly in on a Sunday and out on a Wednesday so I think we'll go with SNA. What are some good dining options in the area? We like steak, mexican, Italian, and American fare (burgers and such). We won't have a car so we will have to rely on public transit or taxis.
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 03:50 PM

If you are staying in the downtown Long Beach area, you will have TONS of dining options. Islands for family style burgers, RockBottom Brewery has some great food... there are so many good places. Pine Street and Shoreline Village are all walking distance.
There is a red local bus called the "Passport" very cute. Can take you to 2nd street, which has its own set of dining and shopping options.
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 06:00 PM

If you'll be renting a car, check rental prices at the various airports...sometimes there can be a big difference from LAX.
Old Nov 13th, 2012, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information Trishee and Icuy. I will look into these options.
Old Dec 3rd, 2012, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

The conference hotels are the Hyatt Regency, Renaissance, and Westin. Which is the nicest and most convenient to the convention center?
Old Dec 4th, 2012, 06:18 AM

All three are good commercial properties. The Westin is the closest to the convention center, next is the Renaissance. I think the Hyatt has the nicest views of the waterfront, but you are likely to want to wait for the shuttle bus to convention center if you are staying there.
Old Dec 4th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Which of the three is attached to the convention center?
Old Dec 4th, 2012, 05:37 PM

Not sure of your budget but I have been to L'Opera on Pine a couple of times for Italian and it was very good with a nice atmosphere, but it was on the expensive side. http://www.lopera.com/
Old Dec 5th, 2012, 04:40 PM
lvk

Of the 3, I like the location of the Renaissance the best, as it is close to the dining on Pine Ave, but still a short walk to the Pike and Convention Center. The Hyatt Regency is very nice, adjacent to the convention center walkway, and closer to the Pike and Shoreline Village(more touristy) attractions. However, the access by foot can be tough, with its long driveways along very busy 4-lane streets.

Restaurants: We also like L'Opera. Other favorites on Pine are King's Fish House for seafood and Alegria (not Sevilla) for tapas and Flamenco dancing.

Down at the shoreline, there are several chain restaurants. The Yard House has a good, varied menu and views of the marina. Gladstone's also has a nice view of the harbor and Queen Mary, but we like the seafood much better at King's.

I also agree with the suggestion of shopping and dining along 2nd Street.
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information Ivk. So, the Hyatt Regency is the hotel connected to the convention center via a walkway? I thought I read something about the convention center being connected by a second floor walkway?? There is an elderly person in our group and we need the closest and most convenient (won't have to be out in the elements if it rains, etc) to the convention center. Thanks for your help!!
Old Dec 10th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Help with hotel!! I am making reservations for a group and want to be in the closest and most convenient hotel to the convention center that has updated rooms. Refer to my previous post about the Hyatt. I also read that the Renaissance is directly across the street but it doesn't get very good reviews. The Westin gets good reviews but is it the least convenient of the three. Thanks in advance for your help!!
Old Dec 10th, 2012, 11:40 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
We like L'Opera, but that could also be because that is where I met my wife 22 years ago.

Old Dec 10th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

L'Opera is on our list. The menu looks wonderful. Any feedback on hotels?