LOs Angeles for one Day

Nov 5th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

LOs Angeles for one Day

I need some help, I will be in Los Angeles for one day on a lay over. I will arrive at 11:30 p.m and my flight home leaves the following day at 9:30 pm. Need to be at the airport by 7:30, what I want to know is it worth it to rent a car for the next morning until the early evening. I will be staying at the Westin close to Los Angeles airport, is there anything around there to do not to rent a car. Thank you for your assistance.
Gina
Nov 5th, 2009, 05:56 PM

There is nothing in the immediate area of the Westin. You'd need a car, taxi or a willingness to use public trans. There is a shuttle service between most of the LAX hotels (including the Westin), shopping centers in Manhattan Beach and El Segundo, and the downtown/pier area of Manhattan Beach.

www.gatewaytola.org/oceanexpress.html

There is a light rail Metro station about a mile from the Westin. (I wouldn't walk this route after dark, and since it's directly below landing jets it's not very pleasant in daylight hours either.) From this station you could travel to downtown L.A./Chinatown, Hollywood, Pasadena and Long Beach, but travel times to all of these destinations would be at least 90 minutes each way and involve multiple transfers.

You could get to the Getty Center by bus, but that journey also involves a transfer and would take at least 90 minutes.

www.mta.net
Nov 6th, 2009, 02:59 AM

It's very difficult to get around LA without a car and with the limited amount of time that you have, I'd suggest renting a car as early the next morning as possible (you want to miss the commute traffic!).

A suggested route - if the weather is good and if you start out early enough! - take the I-405 south (San Diego Freeway) to the I-110 (Harbor Freeway) south all the way to the end. Then get on the Paseo del Mar and just follow the shoreline NORTHBOUND as best as you can and drive all the way up. You'll be winding your way through the beautiful Palos Verdes Peninsula to the "beach" communities of Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, etc. including Venice, you may want to stop for a late breakfast somewhere in one of these beach communities.

Then keep following the seashore all the way up to Santa Monica. Visit the Getty Museum. Have an early dinner somewhere on the Promenade in Santa Monica. Then drive back to the airport for your flight. I'd suggest taking Highway 1, the Pacific Coast highway, south to the airport from Santa Monica. Avoid the I-405.

Get a good map! Have a great time! I did this trip once and it's one of my outstanding memories of Los Angeles.
Nov 6th, 2009, 08:00 AM

That could be a nice drive if the weather is clear, but unless you're familiar with the roads mentioned you'll likely be too focused on your driving to enjoy much of the scenery. Parts of the route are just so-so for scenery; other parts will have lots of traffic, especially Santa Monica to the airport on Lincoln Boulevard (aka Hwy. 1). I'd do either the south loop to the peninsula and beach towns or the north loop to the Getty and Santa Monica, but not both in one day.

What sorts of things interest you? Museums, shopping, strolling around an area like Melrose or a beach town? Give us an idea of what you had in mind.
Nov 6th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

I first want to thank you all for your great advise.

Easytraveler: thank you very much for that I will write it all down and will try and do what you suggested.

Jean: I will rent the car, it's just that my friend (the one i am going with) kind of made me wonder, but yes I will. I want to see the beaches last year we were there too for about two days on our way to Hawaii and this year we are doing the same thing, I thought since that Friday is the Friday after Thanksgiving I figured traffic may be a little lighter, I would also if possible like to see Hollywood since we did not get to do it on our last trip. I will also be there on Wednesday the 18th we arrive at 9:30 a.m. and have to be at the airport the next morning at 7:00 this is why I decided to stay so close to the airport, I know it's probably not the best but it is convinient for both trips one we have to be at the airport so early and on the way back we get in so late. Again thank you all for your help.
Gina
Nov 6th, 2009, 02:16 PM

Staying near the airport makes perfect sense for the two short stays. The Westin would probably not be my first choice (unless you're using points). There are hotels near LAX that are in nicer locations.

Traffic on the Friday after Thanksgiving will be lighter, but it's also one of the biggest shopping days of the year so roads near any big shopping center or area will be busy. I'd do Hollywood on one visit and the beach towns on the other visit.
Nov 7th, 2009, 08:49 AM

There's the beach trolley/bus that goes from the airport area down to Manhattan Beach...you wouldn't need a car on this day if you just wanted to do a beach day with shopping/browsing, dining and seashore. As for renting a car, though...I know there is a Hertz at the Hilton nearby, and an Avis not far away that will pick you up at your hotel. The rates, on weekdays, might be half of what they are if you rent the car right at the airport locations.
Nov 8th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Jane: Actually I got a really good rate at the Westin through Priceline and got the same hotel again for my return flight. I think I will do Hollywood the first day since it is a Wednesday last year when we were there we did go to Santa Monica and am not sure if it was Venice Beach or Manhattan Beach.

divineMissM: it would be cheapet to rent the car at the hotel than at the airport? I always thought the airport would be cheaper. Thank you