London then Europe

Oct 11th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

London then Europe

1st London trip, from NYC. Will have 10 days. Want to end in Paris but would like to see other sites. Am I trying to cram too much into 10-days? If so, where "should" I go and how should I travel inexpensively. Will have spouse and 13 y.o. daughter. Thanks
Oct 11th, 2008, 07:20 AM

First, you will have more responses if you post on the Europe board. Second, are you trying to see London and much of Europe in 10 days? If that is the case, yes, you are trying to cram too much into 10 days.

Perhaps you should reconsider the itinerary - you could spend the entire time in Great Britain and still have much more to see. Or if you are really set on Paris, how about just London for perhaps half the time and Paris the other half?

As far as inexpensive, there is no real inexpensive way to go to Europe with the current exchange rates and how low the dollar is against British pound and the euro.
Oct 11th, 2008, 07:40 AM

I agree with the previous post, you will have plenty of time in London if you stay for 5 days, then get the eurostar from Waterloo straight to Paris. It would be inexpensive in London to use the travel passes you can get which you can use on the tube and buses, the same system is also used in Paris. Montmatre is a must do in Paris. It is great fun to get on the underground (metro) and keep getting off and going above ground to take a walk around all the different areas. La Defense is a good place to go, it has great views.
Oct 12th, 2008, 12:42 PM

If you want to travel inexpensively, I would keep the days in London to a minimum.

3 days London and a week in Paris with day trips would be good.

As far as other "should" places... depends on your interests. Do you have anything specific in mind?
Oct 12th, 2008, 02:06 PM

yes - definitely re-post over on the Europe forum.

w/ just 10 days - I assume you mean 10 days total - right? if so, you will really only have 8 days "on the ground", and the first day will be pretty much used up getting to your hotel and recovering from jet lag. So - w/ 7+ days spend 4 in London and 4 in Paris and take the Eurostar from one to the other. (If you really mean 12 days/10 days on the ground - then split your time 5 days and 5 days)

But -- "As far as inexpensive, there is no real inexpensive way to go to Europe with the current exchange rates and how low the dollar is against British pound and the euro." is pretty much out of date info. The £ has fallen more than 30 against the $ and the € is down about 20 in just the last couple of months.

In fact, I'm looking for an airfare deal just to take advantage of the improved exchange rates.
Oct 12th, 2008, 03:09 PM

As far as inexpensive, there is no real inexpensive way to go to Europe with the current exchange rates and how low the dollar is against British pound and the euro. ,

actually the $ regained quite a bit of it's strength against both currencies.

1BP is about $1.70 from a high of almost 2:1 just few months ago

and

1Euro is about $1.34 from a high of about $1.60 just few months ago.

Oct 12th, 2008, 04:57 PM

Yes - but equivalent hotels, restaurants and sights are still way more in european capitols that in most places in the US (perhaps more similar to NYC prices in high season).
Oct 12th, 2008, 05:07 PM

What does that have to do with the cost of bread? (or in this case my reply?)

All I said is that if the hotel in Paris was 100EU back in May/June, it meant that the American tourist had to pay $160 a night, if the same hotel is 100EU today, then the American touris is paying $134 per night. Quite a difference, isn't it?