Search

LOGAN SQUARE???

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2005, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOGAN SQUARE???

Thanks to everyone who replied to my earlier post regarding moving to Chicago!!!

So, tell me about Logan Square. Safe, convenient to the L, shops, restaurants, cafes? Charming? Is it too far west? If you read my earlier post you will see that I'm kind of focusing on the NORTH: Lincoln Square/Ravenswood/Andersonville area; maybe Albany Park???

Any info would be so appreciated!

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Tara
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 09:27 AM

Logan Square is convenient to the El (Blue Line) if you are going into the Loop--if you work north of the river, you will have to change trains or take the bus.

It's also more urban than the other areas you mentioned (with the possible exception of some parts of Albany Park), so you have to gauge your comfort level with that aspect. While Logan Boulevard itself is lovely, the level of gentrification can vary block by block.

Also, there aren't many parks, so if you have children or a dog, that might be an issue as well.

And I don't think there's a grocery store; only bodegas (but there is Peapod). Bars/restaurants/cafes--probably not as many as Andersonville and Lincoln Square--Ravenswood tends to be really residential with single family homes.

Transportation and commuting are HUGE issues in Chicago, especially if you don't have a car, so I would first think about where your job location is and how long you are willing to travel to get there.

HTH,
Racy
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 03:10 PM

There is a massive Target at the end of Logan Blvd., where it hits Elston. Right down the street is Cub Foods, and every other big box you can think of is within a mile. As for Logan Sq. it self, it is extremely charming. Logan Blvd. is, well, a boulevard, with wide tree lined medians on either side, behnd there are beautiful old greystone rowhouses. There isn't a whole lot in the way of shopping and restaurants in the heart of the neighborhood though. As for crime, google "icam chicago" for the Chicago Police database where you can map every crime in the city for the past 6 months. For a more user friendly version go to

www.chicagocrime.org

Everybody has their own perception of safety, this way you can see the facts for yourself and make your own decision.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 03:14 PM

I love Andersonville, it feels almost like a little village in the city. Very charming, plenty of shops and restaurants, safe and good transit access. Much the same is true for Lincoln Square and Ravenswood. Really, any of these areas would be a fine choice depending on your needs and perceptions. A personal visit would be the best way to decide.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 03:30 PM

Logan square is hit or miss by street, I have a good friend who lived on Logan Blvd for years and loved it, and had no problems (I would visit her all the time and still find myself in Logan Square quite often and would consider living there under the right circumstances), but I also had a friend who lived in a more marginal part of the area and when I visited her, I was warned what street not to walk down when going to her place (she also reported hearing gunfire on more than one occasion). The apartments and houses along the Blvd are lovely, but again, depending on your car situation, and where you want to go, it might not be your best option (you can get downtown via 'el' fairly easily, or to o'hare, but i'm not sure that I'd want to live over there without a car as it isn't close enough to downtown or close enough to amenities for me (I don't have a car).

I always tell people to check out whatever neighborhood they want to live in late at night on a weeknight to get a good feel for it, if you are uncomfortable walking from the 'el' your house at night, then do you really want to live there?
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 03:31 PM

Logan square is hit or miss by street, I have a good friend who lived on Logan Blvd for years and loved it, and had no problems (I would visit her all the time and still find myself in Logan Square quite often and would consider living there under the right circumstances), but I also had a friend who lived in a more marginal part of the area and when I visited her, I was warned what street not to walk down when going to her place (she also reported hearing gunfire on more than one occasion). The apartments and houses along the Blvd are lovely, but again, depending on your car situation, and where you want to go, it might not be your best option, you can get downtown via 'el' fairly easily, or to o'hare, but i'm not sure that I'd want to live over there without a car as it isn't close enough to downtown or close enough to amenities for me (I don't have a car).

I always tell people to check out whatever neighborhood they want to live in late at night on a weeknight to get a good feel for it, if you are uncomfortable walking from the 'el' your house at night, then do you really want to live there?