Search

Lodgings in Mid Coastal Maine

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2010, 06:51 AM
plr
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lodgings in Mid Coastal Maine

Sorry if this seems a duplicate--My original post of several days ago received no responses, and it has now disappeared. (??)
Would love to have a number of recommendations for Clean, economical lodgings for this area ($100 range, approx). Thanks!
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 08:38 AM

What towns will you be staying in? That would help.
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 03:45 PM
plr
Original Poster

Sorry--I should have mentioned that I don't think it matters where I stay in the mid coastal area, if the accommodations are right, as I plan to meander about during the days, and just use it as a place to sleep. Clean, quiet, smoke-free, and bug-free are most important. Thanks for asking.
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 07:51 AM

Hi, me again. Yes it seems your previous message disappeared. I wasn't going to reply based on your previous message and the location you preferred. However, now that you indicate you are more flexible in location I will chime in. We made a similar trip last year and on this leg of the trip we stayed at the Beach Cove Hotel in Booth Bay Harbor. Check it out on tripadvisor.com. The rooms are moderate but the view if the cove is amazing especially if you get room 14. Regardless, be sure to ask for a room with a view of the cove. Otherwise forget about it.The owners are very friendly and the muffins at the free breakfast are great.There are severak lobster shacks in Booth Bay Harbor. We ate at the Lobster Dock and if you get a larger lobster they are great. The twin combo is two small lobsters and a waste of money. Also, if you eat there stick with the lobster or lobster rolls. My wife had oysters and they were awful.
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 02:50 PM
plr
Original Poster

12Oaks, I'll be spending 2 weeks, and plan to spend several nights lodging in each of several places to use as a base for touring around, and for sleeping only. Thanks for the suggestion. Why do you say to forget it if not there for a view from the room?
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 02:54 PM

My original post of several days ago received no responses, and it has now disappeared. (??)

click on your name, plr, and you will find all of your posts, including the missing one.
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 02:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
You might try the Gosnold Arms in New Harbor (Pemaquid Peninsula). It's pretty basic but has great views over one of Maine's prettier harbors. The downside is you are about a twenty minute drive south of Route 1, so it is not convenient for touring the area as a whole. However, there is more than enough on the peninsula to keep you busy for at least a couple of days -- day trip to Monhegan, visit the Pemaquid Point lighthouse, the colonial fort, an actual sandy beach, etc.

http://www.gosnold.com/
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 03:15 AM

You might check out the "Tipsy Gypsy" B&B in Damariscotta, not far from Rte 1. We were there a couple of years ago and it was very nice.

From our experience back then, I would AVOID the Craignair Inn on Clark Island, but it may be better now.
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 06:19 AM

Hi plr,

The view is the deal here as it is spectacular if you get the right room. If not then it is just and average hotel.
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 06:54 AM

$100 is your budget at what time of year? $100 will get you great accomodations most of the year, but forget it in July and August.
High Tide Inn in Camden, Colonial Gables in Belfast, Snow Hill Lodge in Lincolnville (only if you can get the new section of rooms)...Beloins near Camden....Mt. Battie Motel.....to name a few of the less-pricey but clean places.
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 02:35 PM
plr
Original Poster

Thanks so much to everyone!--This is such a tremendous help! And it bears notation that I did not find a single one of the places suggested here, listed in two guidebooks I have. I looked them all up online (could not find Tipsy Gypsy B&B) and they all look great!! My trip is in September. DivineMissM, have you stayed at all these places you list? And these are just "a few" that you can recommend in the economical category? <g> I'm actually amazed, as I've felt a little dismal with my own research turning up consistently higher rates. Other suggestions continue to be welcome!
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 03:02 PM

Lucky you! September is such a great time to visit Maine, after Labor Day the rates go down for a couple of weeks (until the leaf peepers show up at the end of the month).

www.smugglerscovemotel.com
www.oceangateinn.com
www.belfastharborinn.com
www.penobscotbayinn.com
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 03:35 PM
plr
Original Poster

divineMissM--Yup, that's how I planned it! Daydreaming about cooler weather! Wow, and thanks again--more suggestions! Have you stayed at these places?
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 05:55 PM
plr
Original Poster

So hard to choose!! Anyone have any further recommendations or preferences between these great choices?
Old Jul 18th, 2010, 12:31 PM
plr
Original Poster

Have any of you stayed at either Glen Cove Motel/Inn or Ledges by the Bay (also in Glen Cove)? Looks like another good central location for several days' day trips. Can you comment on the accommodations?
Old Jul 19th, 2010, 11:18 AM

I've stayed at the Beloins near Camden in September and there was nothing better than watching the sun rise in the morning with a cup of coffee on the porch of our small, but clean, cottage. The views from the seaside cottages are stunning.