Lodging inYosemite In Oct?

Old Oct 12th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lodging inYosemite In Oct?

Hi, I am traveling to Yosemite at the end of Oct. Does anyone have any suggestions on lodging that would have great views, maybe cabins that isn't super expensive?

Also, do you have any suggestions on where is the must see places?
Thanks!
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 08:50 AM

You might try the Yosemite View Lodge in El Portal. It is along the river, a few miles outside the park boundary, about a 30 minute drive into the valley.

You might also try Yosemite West, which are condos just outside the park.

Yosemite Lodge is the most convinient, right in the valley, but this late, I don't know if you will be able to get reservations. It is worth a shot though. Lodging is basic and the location is terrific. I don't know what the views are like from inside the rooms, but outside, you can't beat it

What is your budget?
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 03:37 PM

Whoa.....avoid yosemite west condos. you'd be better off in a broken tent. (this opinion based on a 4-day stay in 1998)
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

My budget would be about 150 a night. I don't mind not having the frills but I would like a view if possible.
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 08:38 PM

I think they might be having a fall special on lodging within the valley right now. You might want to try calling the central reservation number and asking. Good luck. Happy travels.
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 09:45 PM

You might try the Wawona as it would be in your price range. You can rent a room with or without bath.
The Wawona is rustic but we stay there every year. It is located close to the south entrance to the park. I think the meals are good. We usually split the dinner meal.You spend about $5 for a second plate. The breakfast buffet is fine.
The hotel is located close to the big trees but about 1/2 hour from the valley. There is a free shuttle that runs between the hotel and the grove of big trees.
It may still be operating in October, but if not it is a short drive.
You can stay at Wawona, take the tour of the redwoods,or spend an hour or 2 hiking among the trees, and the next day visit Glacier Point before driving down into the valley.
Most of the falls will be dry in October but the view from Glacier Point is outstanding.
Old Oct 15th, 2006, 12:07 AM

otownrob-Your stay at the Yosemite West condos was 8 years ago. I was just there 2 weeks ago and they were fine for a budget stay. I am pretty fussy about hotels and had no problems with them. Although they are technically not in the park, you do pay your admittance fee before you get to the condos and then you don't have to go back outside the park during your stay. They are about a 15 min drive to the Valley. If you can't get into a place in the Valley and your budget is $150, I would recommend them. We stayed in the studio condo for $129 a night and I think the loft condos were $159.
Old Oct 15th, 2006, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I will call today and see what I can find. I know this is last minure and poor planning on my part.

I had all my other reservations in place in Aug. and had these 2 days open that I didn't really want to plan anything because I figured we could find something when we got there. Now I just want to drive there and know where I am sleeping. You know?

Thanks again.

Old Oct 15th, 2006, 07:42 AM

Definitely a good idea to make reservations ahead of time. There are some places where winging it is a good option. Unfortunately, this isn't one of them. Limited loding options and relatively long drives between the options makes it difficult to just turn up and find something, even in the off season. Better to know where you will be sleeping and spend your time enjoying the scenery