Search

Lodging in YNP

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2003, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lodging in YNP

Using the advice I received on this site, I called YNP to reserve rooms at Old Faithful Snow Lodge. The gentleman on the phone highly recommended I consider the newly remodeled Frontier Cabins at Lake Yellowstone instead - at half the price. I didn't read one positive comment on this site about the cabins in Lake Yellowstone. Has anyone been in one of the remodeled cabins? Have they improved? Or, should I stick with Snow Lodge
Old Nov 1st, 2003, 11:20 AM
cd

chern
Have not been inside, but if they are the yellow cabins sitting beside the Yellowstone Hotel, they looked really nice from the outside. But, don't know if they are the Frontier Cabins or not. We had a wonderful dinner at the Yellowstone Hotel and a nice hour or so sitting on the front porch of the Historic Lake Lodge (two differants places), rocking and drinking a beer! Having said that, I still would prefer staying at Old Faithful Inn with bath, (Old Faithful Snow Lodge is directly behind.) I just like the neighborhood better You can walk to MANY geysers from the Inn, for instance, there is one geyser that goes off twice a day and it lasts for 45min. each time, I think the name is Castle Geyser, it is close to the Inn and walkable in a few minutes. Old Faithful of course is very close and goes off, I think every hour on the hour. No need to drive if your hotel is in this area, just park the car and walk. We also enjoyed our meals at Old Faithful Inn restaurant. Of course you have to drive to the rest of the park, but for the first day and a half we walked everywhere in the geyser area and enjoyed staying there.
Old Nov 1st, 2003, 11:52 AM

chernsu,
I'm surprised that the person on the phone suggested the Frontier Cabins at Lake Yellowstone as an alternative to staying in the Old Faithful area. The two locations offer a very different perspective, as mentioned by the poster above. We started our visit to the park this past July at the Frontier Cabins at Lake Yellowstone. The cabins are okay. The bed mattresses seemed very old. I love the Lake Yellowstone Hotel and the Lake Lodge setting.We were on a budget, so the cabins were fine for us.

A number of days later, (after staying in Red Lodge, MT) we stayed at the cabins at Old Faithful. We really loved the setting and it is very convenient to get to the geysers. I'd book at the Snow Lodge if you don't want to do the cabins at Old Faithful. Lake Yellowstone area is going to be inconvenient to drive back and forth to Old Faithful. Let me know if you want more details.
Old Nov 1st, 2003, 05:45 PM
em

We were at Yellowstone this past August and stayed at the Old Faithful Inn with our 11 year old granddaughter. We booked very late and had to take a suite but it turned out to be a fabulous experience...although pricey. We were able to look out our window and see Old Faithful day or night! Also, it was wonderful just to experience the ambience of the Inn. We booked the Circle of Fire Tour and found it a good way to experience the essence of Yellowstone in one day. We considered it a once in a lifetime experience and were glad we stayed at the Inn.
Old Nov 1st, 2003, 09:56 PM
LavaCrazy

Stick with the Old Faithful Snow Lodge!!! I stayed there for a week and was VERY happy with the place and its location. Trust me, you'll love it. The public areas are very nice too...perfect for relaxing. If you're just a little hungry (don't want a full meal) go in the bar and ask the bartender to get you an order of...oh crap, I can't remember what it's called...it's that toasted bread stuff that's usually an appetizer on many menus. Anyway, it's filling enough for two and if you sit at the bar you'll learn all kinds of interesting tidbits from a very informative bartender.

Have fun!

Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 11:29 AM

we stayed at the Old Faithful Lodge cabins two summers ago. They were nice with a great price. I think the one without bath was $45 and with bath $55. Since there were 4 of us, we got one of each and used the bath in the one cabin rather than the commnuity bath (a separate place for toilets and then the showers in the Old Faithful Lodge).

These cabins are just across the parking lot from Old Faithful. Just outside our door was a short drop-off to a small stream, with geysers/steam vents just across it. One morning, there was a buffalo grazing by the river.

We got the last two cabins available for the dates we wanted (early June - booked in early Feb.) so you are wise to book early.

If you are planning on spending more than three days in YNP, I would try booking in two dfferent areas to cut down on the driving.
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 08:12 AM

We stayed at Old Faith Inn, which is different from Old Faithful Snow Lodge. We did have dinner one time at the Snow Lodge and really liked the facility. It was recently built (late 90s?) and had a comtemporary feel. Actually I think we would like to stay at the Snow Lodge (instead of the Inn) if we visit YNP again. The rooms (not cabins) are more expensive in the $150 range there though. The restuarant at the Snow Lodge was superb, much better than the one at the Inn. The food (dinner menu) at the Inn was like country home cooking, while the Snow Lodge had a more urban feel, at similar prices. The lobby of the Inn was very nice and special, though.

The outside of the Lake cabins definitely didn't appeal to me. We had lunch at Lake Yellowstone Hotel, and from what I could see in the lobby, with its dated country theme decor, I would say either Old Faithful Inn or Snow Lodge would be a better bet, most likely at lower cost too. (Hotels rooms are more expensive than cabins.) However, we did have a great meal at the restuarant. The sushi dish was excellent. The porch that faces the lake might be this hotel's best attraction.

To answer your question, stick with Snow Lodge.

Old Nov 4th, 2003, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the advice. I'll stick with Snow Lodge!