Lodging in NYC @ Quality Hotel on Broadway

Oct 20th, 2001, 07:58 PM
av

Lodging in NYC @ Quality Hotel on Broadway

We are in NYC for 9 nights and we are getting a 3* rating at this hotel for a price of 85.95, is this worth it? and would you recommend?

Oct 20th, 2001, 10:23 PM
joe

It may be "on broadway", but it is not near the broadway theatre district. It is closer to Central Park and Lincoln Center.

The rooms are small, the norm for New York, but the price is right, very low by NY standards. Don't expect much more than a clean room with few frills. It is close to the subway, but if you have a car, parking is $20 extra. If anyone in your party is over 50 years of age, you can get rooms with 1 queen bed for $71 a night by booking at choicehotels.com

Oct 21st, 2001, 03:31 PM
Allie

Are you talking about the Quality Hotel @94th street? If so, can only comment on the neighborhood, not the interior of the hotel. It is a middle to upper middle class ethnically and religiously diverse residential neighborhood. That translates into lots of street traffic at all hours(no coming back to deserted streets at night), 'real' restaurants and stores (not tourist traps) and an obscenely easy (subway stop is across the street) 15- 30 minutes to any tourist site (used to be shorter, but some of the express trains are now running local so it may take you a couple of minutes longer).

Oct 21st, 2001, 04:52 PM
rqf

The Quality Hotel is on the corner of 94th and Broadway = I can see it out of my window as I type this. It used to be an SRO (single room occupancy) and at that time it was the pits. My wife hated to walk by on the way home from the subway. About three years ago the place was renovated and turned in a hotel. The lobby was redone and is well lit and clean.. I know new beds were bought for the rooms since I saw them being unloaded. Until Sept. 11 you saw lots of tourists going in and out. I haven't seen many people going in and out since. This is a “New York neighborhood”. Lots of local retail stores and restaurants serving all types of food in every price range. Subway stop is less than 100 feet from the lobby. An express train to 42nd Street takes 7 minutes; the local takes about 10 minutes. Central Park is a 10 minute walk. Since you mention this is a 9 day stay it is safe to assume you will be visiting from Christmas to New Years. If so, I would think $85 is a good price if tourism picks up. Right now you could get a 4 star for $85 on Priceline. I can’t comment on the rooms but the neighborhood is fine and convenient most tourists sites in the city.

Oct 21st, 2001, 06:45 PM
av

Thank You ALL for the great advice, you all have been great.

Dec 2nd, 2001, 10:32 PM
alan

Av, I saw that rate too, but the Quality is a long way up... before you put your money on the table, find the website for the Madison, on the corner of Madison Avenue and 27th St. It is offering a comparable price, but you have to ring them. To me, this sounds like the better deal, but I admit I haven't seen the hotel... but I know which area I'd choose!

Dec 5th, 2001, 03:27 PM
av

Hi
Thanks to all for the advice. We booked thru priceline.com and got the Hilton for 85.00 per night. I think it's a better location.
Thanks again everybody!!!

Dec 5th, 2001, 07:54 PM
Owen O'Neill

I have seen the lobby of the Madison, spoke to a young Israeli couple sho were staying there and saw photos they ahd taken of the room. It's on a safe and reasonably convenient location but the lobby is an unadorned 10x14 bare-walled room and the "desk clerk" is in a locked office with plexiglass window that they slide the keys and paperowrk out under. It too appears to have once been an SRO (single room occupancy) hotel and I was advise that it's clean but extremely bare bones and the rooms are very small (they barely had room to set their two backpacks down on the floor to unpack them). 94th and Broadway will have a better selection of stores and restaurants in the neighborhood and is much busier at night. If you're going to the theatre district it's also an easier subway ride. The Madison has decent proximity to the east Village and to the 4,5,6 train to head up to the east side or downtown but I'd go for the Quality or better yet something cloer to midtown. 9 nights is a long stay - it's great to be able to get back to a centrally located room to change, freshen up, get warmer or cooler clothes etc. - my two cents based on experience (I once stayed at the Gershwin which is on the same block as the Madison - do yourself a huge favor and DON'T stay at the Gershwin!)