Lodging in/near Camden

Search

Lodging in/near Camden

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lodging in/near Camden

We will be flying into Portland and driving right up to Bar Harbor for a wedding. After 3 nights there, we plan to drive back to Portland with an overnight stop on the way. Staying at the West Street Inn in BH. Looking for something different as my fear is that Camden will be so similar to BH. We are thinking of:
Hartstone Inn
Lord Camden Inn
Grand Harbor Inn
Inn at Ocean's Edge (Lincolnville)

Would appreciate your input on these or further suggestions. I do NOT like some of the cutsie Victorian B&Bs. Thanks
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 10:59 PM

We stayed at this great place in Rockland. Great location, not as hectic as Camden:

http://www.berrymanorinn.com/

Breakfast was excellent, owners great personalities and oh yeah, they have 3 varieties of award winning, homemade pie available 24/7' along with ice cream. That alone puts it on the top of my list!!
Old Feb 4th, 2013, 04:09 AM

We stayed at the Hartstone Inn last year. It was excellent, and the owners worked really hard to accomodate some dietary issues I have. The rooms are actually spread over three different buildings, a very common practice in NE inns, but if you have needs (few stairs, etc) it gives them a lot of room to meet your needs if you let them know in advance. I think we had dinner there (the owner is a chef) one night and ate withing walking distance a couple of other times. They booked a windjammer trip for us and fixed us a lunch. Could we have done them more cheaply? Sure, but the cruise billed the hotel so we could have it on our credit card instead of paying cash, and the lunch was yummy.

I am interested that debitnm found Camden hectic. The traffic is hectic because it is where the four lane road to Bar Harbor and Canada narrows down to two lanes, but the town itself was eminently walkable-shoppable and did not seem hectic at all. It had a lot of charm.

One evening, we happened by accident into a free "Wizard of Oz Sing-A-Long" sponsored by the local library and attended almost entirely by locals (or people who had just happened to bring Dorothy and Scarecrow costumes on their vacations). They showed the film with all the words on screen, and we all sang along. Then had ice cream. How good is that!
Old Feb 4th, 2013, 08:40 AM

Hectic is a relative term, ackslander
Old Feb 4th, 2013, 09:52 AM
nlg

We stayed at the Lord Camden Inn several years ago and really liked it. The breakfast was wonderful. We could walk to all the shops and restaurants in town.