Lodging in Glacier NP Montana

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2006, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for feedback on lodging in Glacier NP in Montana. Particularly interested in hearing about Lake McDonald vs Glacier Park Lodge... which is best as far as convenience to highlights of park with least amount of backtracking and also accomodations? Targeted time of year would be either 1st week of July or last week of August. Thanks.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 03:20 PM

We did not care for Glacier Park lodge, lovely grounds but the rooms were too primitive and basic. We had dinner at Lake Mcdonald Lodge, its in a nicer area, I believe the rooms are very basic there also. We spent two nights in the park which was enough, we're not hikers.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 05:01 AM

I can't recommend Lake McDonald Lodge, either. Very small rooms, and noisy b/c of the open configuration of the hotel - all rooms surround the open lobby. Any noise down in the lobby, you hear in your room.

Unfortunately, your lodging choices in this area are limited.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 07:14 AM

We are hikers and love Glacier - Last trip we stayed (and loved) Mt.Timbers B & B in Columbia Falls (nice big hot tub on front porch, beautiful rooms & great breakfast). Then on to rustic Rising Sun in the park for 2 nights, 2 nights at Glacier Park Lodge (pretty setting but run down & overpriced - avoid it), 4 nights in Waterton (a great area - we stayed at and loved Crandell Mountain Lodge. Good restaurant acrss street (Kilmorey Lodge) and then ended with 2 nights at a motel outside of the park in the East Glacier area. We did this trip in September...lots of berries on trail and lots of grizzlies. Great fun!
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info on those lodges to avoid. Did you drive into Glacier each day from Columbia Falls or was that a base camp for a different park/area? How was Rising Sun? How long did it "really" take you to get to the Waterton area from the south end of the park? I'm budgeting about 4 days in the park... any advice on how they would be best spent? The park seems so huge and great distances between different parts of the park so it is a bit intimidating.
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 10:46 AM

We stayed at Lake McDonald and at Many Glacier Lodges. We did not care for Lake McDonald lodge at all except to walk around the lobby. Much of their lodging is actually in cabins (multifamily type) along the lake within walking distance of the lodge. We had lake front rooms at Many Glacier Lodge and loved every moment we spent there. Please understand, this is not a 5 star hotel. It is quaint and very rustic, but we had great views and a balcony where I sat to take fantastic sunset photos. The restaurant was also good. MHO
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 10:50 AM

I love the lobbies of all these grand hotels so be sure to check them out. Many Glacier is probably in the most spectacular setting. They also have great evening programs in the lodge. I love staying in the old lodges - as long as you know they are not 5 star lodging (no ac/exposed pipes in rooms/but very clean).
Have a great time!
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 10:43 PM
Original Poster

When I originally started this post, I wanted to learn about lodging within Glacier NP but now am interested in hearing about lodging near but outside the park, on both the east and west sides. Anyone out there with any recommendations?
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

topping...
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 07:57 AM

I have found that the accommodations on the Canadian side Waterton-Glacer are better because they are private enterprise rather than a park granted monopolistic concession.

In Waterton, the Kilmorey is good. But the others are too because they must compete.

My pick, however, is a B and B a little outside of the park on the road to
Pincher Creek. It is called Shintangle Spring Bed and Breakfast Inn. You can find the web site at:

http://www.shintanglespring.com/

It is one of few B and Bs I have found that was purpose built. Craig and Oksana Roy, the owners, designed it as a family home and as a B and B.

As a result, the 4 bedrooms are in a separate wing of the house with a handicap entrance. Each room is large with a/c. I find it to be the best buy for my money in the area.

It is not cheap, but the setting is pleasant and the location is acceptable.