lodging in Denali, Homer, Seward, Valdez

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2005, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are travelling with 2 kids. Most likely we would need a 2 queen beds room and 2/3 nights in each location. Any suggestions?

Old Jul 15th, 2005, 04:49 PM

In Homer we stayed at the Ocean Shores Motel. This place came highly recommeded by a fellow Fodorite and we were glad we listened. The outside of the motel isn't much to see, but the rooms are spacious and clean. The claim to fame: the spectacular view outside your window, especially if you take a waterfront room. You are surrounded with water, eagles, eagles and more eagles, and beautiful mountains. I would not hesitate to stay there again. In Homer, the Harborview Inn had a lovely off-property duplex right across the street from the bay. It was a very nice place with lovely furnishings. Would also stay here agein. Have a great time.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 04:49 PM

ttt
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 05:26 PM
jq

I think Harborview Inn is in Seward?
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 03:42 AM

For a bargain the Denali Park Hotel has nice rooms. Valdez, sometimes you can pick up Aspen web specials.
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 06:43 AM

We also just traveled to Alaska with two kids. In Seward we stayed at Alaska's Treehouse B&B in the suite (two adjacent rooms, each with a double or queen). Near Denali we stayed in a two-bedroom cabin at EarthSong Lodge (also had a common living room). Although we're willing to take one room with two beds, it sure is nice to have some privacy once in a while. I recommend both highly.
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 09:24 AM

OOps! Thanks for catching my mistake.
I did mean the Harborview Inn in Seward.
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you.
For Denali we will check these options and we might also consider the Healy or Cantwell area.
Although we have kids we have always travelled independently and on a last minute lodging reservation. First we get information like on this forum, then we ask for quotation and once there we just call. And so we will do for our 2 weeks this 16th to 30th august.
Yes there is the risk of no vacancy somewhere but we are free to add or cut nigthts if necessary, according to how the trip proceedes !!
Now I will post another message for your suggestions and comments to our itinerary. Thank you again !!
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 01:48 AM

Yeah- you can wait until you get there in Anchorage, but no way would I consider it in Denali, Seward, Valdez. Especially Denali area likely NO availabilty and plenty of lodgeing is "hidden", no signs, some miles off the road etc. I travel that time every year, if you can find lodging, prices are way up, but it is still heavy tourist season.
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 02:35 AM

I absolutly agree with the above post.
Many reservations in Alaska are made several months, even a year in advance.
When we were there last May, off season, there were "no vacancy" signs everywhere we went. We were certainly glad we had our reservations. To me, that is an extremely high risk to take, especially with children.
If you want more freedom on your trip, have you considered renting an RV?
They are plentiful to rent in Alaska.
(You still need to reserve them--they also go fast).

Old Jul 18th, 2005, 03:58 AM

We were in Alaska with one teen in June. We were able to get 2 queens in most places we stayed. Here are the places we stayed that I can highly recommend:

Denali--Denali Lakeview in Healy. Great B & B on Lake Otto.
Homer -- Alaskan Suites, awesome view & cabins.
Seward--new Holiday Inn Express looked very nice. We stayed in Cooper Landing at the Kenai Princess.
Valdez--Aspen hotel, but the BW looked about equilavent--both are average hotels. No A/C at Aspen, but there is an oscillating fan in each room. Appeared to be some nice B & Bs in the area.

I agree with last 2 posters--don't wait till you get there. Alaska's towns are just too far away from each other to take a chance on one town being totally booked.

We want to try an RV next trip--might be something you want to consider.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

yes you are right.
I thought/hoped that late august it would have been less crowded than usual !!
My concern was in case a cruise or flightseeing is cancelled due to weather and re-scheduled for the next day and we have already fixed the next night somewhere else, then we should add one night, if available, and cancell the next other one, in the hope the other property does not charge us cancellation fees !!

I will check also all your lodgings !!
thank you !!

p.s. by the way I do not get any response from the Glacier Bay Lodge in Barlett Cove since weeks !! That's our first 2 days stop before heading north to Anchorage and around. They will probably have some browser problems as I wrote them at least 3 times !!
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 09:27 AM

In Homer we stayed at www.alaskaadventurecabins.com . Keith is very nice and the houses are great. He has two houses on the hill overlooking the water and mountains. One railroad car converted, and a sailboat on land converted. They all have enough rooms for you. They are all new and gorgeous.
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 10:26 AM

Portialucy, we have reservations at Earthsong Lodge for next month. What was it like? We have a 7 year old and it sounded like a great place for him. Do you recommend it? Thanks.
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 02:33 PM

We stayed at a wonderful place called Wildrose B&B in Homer, had a two bedroom cabin to ourselves. Gorgeous view!
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 04:28 AM

janelp, Yes, EarthSong is a great place, especially if your 7-year-old likes and is comfortable with dogs. The owners, Jon and Karen, are very nice, and Jon is happy to tell you all about sled dogs. Each night he screens a slide show in Henry's Coffeehouse (which was named for a beloved sled dog and serves great dinners). One night the show is about Denali, the other night about sled dogs. It's just slides and music, so it may be a little boring for a 7-year-old, but we enjoyed it (especially over a bowl of Moose Tracks ice cream). Then each morning Jon takes anyone interested into the kennel to meet the dogs. They're tied up, but some of them jump a bit. Jon is good about pointing out which are the best dogs for little kids to meet. The dogs love to be pet, and they bark trying to get your attention so you'll come and scratch them. There is also a litter of puppies. When we were there in June they were tiny, and my girls loved holding them and having them snuggle in. Near the kennel is a refrigerator you can use. We stayed in the biggest and newest cabin, which had two bedrooms and was perfectly comfortable. I didn't get a chance to see what the other cabins were like inside. If you need more space you can always go to the common room, with couches and tables and such. We spent an evening there playing cards and reading. Hope this helps. Good luck and enjoy.