Reload this Page >

Lodging at Goulding, UT

Search

Lodging at Goulding, UT

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2001, 04:55 PM
Jack

Lodging at Goulding, UT

I see references to Gouldings for lodging enroute to Monument Valley. How many lodging ppppplaces are there and what are their names?

Old Apr 22nd, 2001, 05:02 PM
Karen

Gouldings is the only accomodation at the entrance to Monument Valley. Parts of it are historic as it has been there for many, many years and is/was the main lodging for all the movie companies that shot in that location. The Gouldings opened it, I believe, in the 40s. There are other lodgings in Kayenta, but I, personally, would never stay anywhere but Gouldings.

Old Apr 22nd, 2001, 05:20 PM
rqf

Lodging is available in Kayenta, 2o miles south of the Valley. There is a Holiday Inn and a place called the Wetherill Motel. There are a few other places in Kayenta but I don't know the names. Strongly suggest you have a reservation in hand at Gouldings or at one of the places in Kayenta. There is a nice place in Mexican Hat, Ut, about 20 miles north of the Valley - the San Juan Inn.

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 03:25 AM
RB

DEFINITELY call ahead to get reservations at Goulding's Trading Post & Lodge, 435-727-3231. Tough to get a room, but worth it, as you're right outside entrance to Monument Valley. Restaurant has good food; try the Navajo taco. If you can't get reservations, try Kayenta, AZ. We stayed at the Best Western Wetherill Inn, 520-697-3231, which is on the road to Monument Valley. This property has clean rooms, nothing fancy. If you do stay in Kayenta, plan your day so you're up before dawn and on the road to Monument Valley when it opens at 7 a.m. (May-Sept.) You'll want to enjoy the splendor of driving through the park before the traffic starts to impact it. Eat breakfast over at Gouldings when you get through. Enjoy!

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 04:15 AM
J T Kirk

Goulding's is convenient. Goulding's offers great views. Goulding's has some knowledgeable people. Goulding's does not have, alas, great food. If you're going to stay there awhile, be prepared to hit the road in search of dining. There are a few okay places north in Mexican Hat. In that area of the country, it doesn't really matter where you stay or eat. It is just so darn beautiful. Have fun.

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 04:36 AM
OliveOyl

Have to agree with Cap'n Kirk on the food! It was substandard, even for motel dining. Unfortunately there isn't much else around to give it a run for its money.

We had dinner and breakfast there, and if we go back, it'll be with some emergency food. Also if you enjoy a glass of wine before or after dinner, be sure to bring your own. There are no liquor sales within reservation land.

The food is a minor inconvenience though--you couldn't ask for a better location. Watching the sunrise over Monument Valley from their balconies is quite an experience. Have your camera ready!

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 05:00 AM
RB

I have noticed previous posts on this board on quality of food at Gouldings. Our dinner & breakfast there in May 1999 were good- nothing fancy, nothing fabulous, just good food. Cap'n Kirk is right, though; very few food choices available in this area- Kayenta is very low on eating establishments; we never made it to Mexican Hat. The scenery definitely is the star at this location.

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 11:16 AM
Karen

Don't bother hitting the road in search of good food....it is not a priority in this area. The food is definitely not 5-4-3 star, but certainly eatable, plentiful and decent enough...every where I've been, whether Canyon de Chelly or Monument Valley or that type area, the food is basically the same....focus on the scenery, views, history and the tours provided.

Old Apr 26th, 2001, 11:57 AM
Howard

Goulding's is definitely the place to stay. And, as Olive Oyl said, definitely get up before dawn, go out on the balcony of your room with camera in hand and watch the sun come up over the monuments. It is, indeed, spectacular.