Lodging advice in Oregon

Old Aug 19th, 2005, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lodging advice in Oregon

Im looking to visit Oregon next Sept. My four most important things to see are, the coast, Crater Lake, Silver falls State pk. & the wine country. Could some one please advise me of nice, clean quiet accomodations either somewhere central to all or several places in good reach of each. Thanks!
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 10:15 AM
mms

I hesitate to suggest places without knowing how much time you have for the trip. As a rough guide, I would say you are looking at 3 different places for lodging...one at Crater Lake, one at the coast, and one that would be central to both Silver Falls and our wine country.

There are a lot of Oregonians on the board and the Oregon threads usually get quite lively. Let us know how much time you have and how much you want to allocate towards each area, then you will get a lot more help.
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 10:18 AM

As long as you're not particular about which area of the coast you see - it's all beautiful really - the hitch in your itinerary is Crater Lake, which is about a five hour's drive from Portland. The coast, Silver Falls, and wine country are all within 1.5 hours from Portland.

How much time do you have for this trip? You might consider doing a loop to include them all (and a few other sights).
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 11:05 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
For the coast, Oregon has a wonderful yurts, cabins, etc. in the parks system if that style of accommodation interests you. Price is right and they are definitely "clean quiet".
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 11:36 AM

I lived in Forest Grove for four years. Which part of Oregon are you considering for wine country? I'm surprised you aren't considering the Mt. Hood loop through the Columbia River Gorge and Multnomah Falls (the largest waterfall in OR). I have never been to Silver Falls State Park, so I'm not sure if it's a must see. As far as the coast, I've been to Tillamook (the Tillamook Cheese factory tour is great) up to Cannon Beach (Haystack Rock) and Astoria. Those are all great places and Cannon Beach has some great festivals. As far as lodging, I mainly camped on the coast in a state park -- right next to the beach. Sorry can't help with lodging.
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, I should have given my time frame. Im willing to do 5 to 6 nites. So maybe 2 nites per location? Is Crater Lake worth going out of my way for?
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 12:09 PM

We loved the coast on our trip in May. Florence has a wonderful renovated motel on the River, with balconies overlooking , and within walking distance to town, and some good restaurants. It's called the River House, and it does have a website.It's location, between heceta head lighthouse ( which is a great tour) and the Oregon Dunes is ideal.
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 12:56 PM

Hi,
I'm only going to comment on Crater Lake, as there are others, I'm sure, more qualified to comment on the coast ane wine country.
Crater Lake is DEFINITELY worth seeing! If it's a clear day, it is spectacular. The lodge is the best choice, but is often fully booked. So reserve now. There are also motel-type accomodations next to the campground a few miles from the lake that are more than adequate, but food is only available at the lodge. There is much constructiion going on and the cafeteria is not available this year. Outside the park are only rustic accommodations. In leaving the park, you could take the road along the Umpqua River to Roseburg, which is very scenic, and then contnue on to the coast, staying somewhere like Florence or Newport, and then swing back to the wine country area near McMinnville. From here it is a short drive to Silver Falls. You can do all this in six days with two days at each location.
Have a great trip.
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 12:57 PM

Of the places you want to see, I'd toss Silver Falls before Crater Lake. Maybe that's because, as a long-time Oregonian, I've seen a lot of waterfalls. Even so, I consider Silver Falls more a day trip from Portland than a destination. Same with wine country, unless you have your heart set on staying in a B&B 45 minutes from Portland.

So, how about 2-3 nights in Portland, 2-3 nights at the coast, and one at Crater Lake. If you agree, we can give specfics on places to stay. A final thought... I'd do the Columbia River gorge/Mt. Hood loop suggested by Ms. Jingles before Silver Falls. I'm curious as to why Silver Falls is getting so much play on travel boards lately.
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 01:04 PM

We did Crater Lake last September and thought it was wonderful. We had a delicious lunch at the Lodge there overlooking the Lake. We stayed 2 nights at the Windsor Inn in Ashland which I would highly recommend. Ashland is a lovely town.
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 01:20 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Crater Lake and the Oregon coast are by far the highlights of what you mention. Crater Lake is absolutely amazing.

For wine country do you mean over east of the mountains? Or the Willamette Valley nearer the coast?
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 04:06 PM

It looks like you really have too much planned. It takes a long time to get across our state! If you fly into Medford you could hit Crater Lake right off the bat....then head over to the coast( I prefer the Northern coast but in your case South coast might be a better option. From Crater Lake head to Gold Beach for the the night there and then possibly up to Bandon or Florence before cutting across to I-5 before hitting the Willamette Valley for the wine!
I would really tend to take a slower pace and enjoy more cutting out Silver Falls and the Willamette Valley. Narrow down the path you want to take (from Portland or Medford....Eugene???) then once you have some towns etc. we can follow up with places to stay. Good luck....I am sure you will enjoy it here!
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 06:05 PM

As one who recently returned from a visit to Oregon, my input would be to make absolutely sure you do Columbia Gorge to Mount Hood to Portland for a day, to the coast for a day, and spend one day in Portland (there's plenty to do in the city.)

Perhaps the reason Silver Lake State Park is getting attention is the excellent Discover Oregon "Scenic Byways and Tour Routes" guide published by the Oregon Tourism Commission. It recommends a 55-mile route from Woodburn to south of Salem via 214 that is very good. The center of it is the state park.

Crater Lake IS a significant drive, so we did not make it this time. Look to the locals (MMS, Beachbum, et al) to steer you correctly. Accept no substitutes...

It is, truly, one of the most beautiful states.

Jim
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 08:25 PM

We really like the Overleaf Lodge in Yachats on the coast. It's nice and quiet with a great little path outside your window. I think all of the units have an ocean view.
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 10:43 PM
Kal

An Oregon lodging Q without an ***Oregon Queen*** comment???

She must be on the 18 hr drive back to Fresburg?

Suprised there's no sattelite connection in the new Lexus?
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 07:57 AM

Shhhhhhhhhhhh.

Be still. Be very, very still.