location for hotel at Yosemite

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 09:37 PM
Linda

location for hotel at Yosemite

I'll be driving from San Francisco to Yosemite. Can anyone recommend a hotel to stay for 2 nights-near which entrance and should I buy food before entering the park. thanks. Linda

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 06:10 AM
Dayle

Hi Linda!

We need more info! WHEN are you going? If this summer, you are too late for hotel/camping reservations unless you luck onto a cancellation.

Also, do a search here for "Yosemite" and you'll find tons of info.

Good luck & have a wonderful time!

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 10:28 AM
steve

Linda - I agree you are probably too late for summer reservations in or just outside the park, but...Tenya Lodge is a resort not too far from the Route 41 (south) entrance check out Fish Camp and Oakhurst. Or try the Groveland Hotel on Highway 120 the north entrance. You'll have no problem buying food in the park, although it is more expensive.

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 12:55 PM
John R.

I got last minute reservations at Yosemite Lodge for my visit on July 1-4. Just get on the online reservation site a couple of times a day and you will probably find something.

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 12:59 PM
Tony

Driving from SF to the park will take about 4-5 hours if you come in from the North entrance on Hwy 120. If you leave SF early enough, you will have plenty of time to drive around the valley floor. For a convenient place to stay just outside the park, try the Yosemite View Lodge located just outside the West entrance on Hwy 140 near the town of El Portal. It will be an easy drive into the park each day from El Portal.

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 02:48 PM
janis

A LOT depends on when you are going. Give us more details.

re your question about food - carying food around inside the park can be a BIG problem. You must carefully follow the instructions because bears can destroy a car if food is left in it.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 05:15 AM
Julie

we atqyed at the Cedar Lodge just outside the park it was excellent

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 06:06 AM
Michelle

We stayed at the Apple Tree Inn & just loved it! It's about 3 miles from the South Entrance.

Our room was nicely appointed, clean & comfortable & was nestled back in the trees. They also serve a huge breakfast each morning.

Each day we'd eat this huge breakfast, and then we'd drive to the park & hike, and then come back & play racquetball or go for a swim at the pool.

Only drawback for you is that it is at the Southern entrance....

Here's their link
http://www.appletreeinn-yosemite.com/

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 08:24 AM
Linda

Thanks to all who replied-I'll be going Aug. 26, 27th. I ws thinking of going Hy 140 to El Portal.That looked not too far a drive to the village.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 08:48 AM
x

Yosemite View Lodge in El Portal has a room available through expedia for those nights for $167.

Cheaper at Cedar Lodge via this web site http://www.yosemite-motels.com/cedarlodge/index.htm depending on the bed you want.

On the Yosemite website they have availability at the Ahwahnee for a double double for $348 per night. Otherwise you're in a tent cabin or at the south entrance at the Wawona Hotel or at the Tenaya Lodge. Here's the site:

http://www.yosemitepark.com/html/accom_reservation.html