LITTLETON, CO

Old May 17th, 2006, 02:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LITTLETON, CO

I will be in this area from 6/11/2006 to 6/19/2006 attending a class. I need information on what to do in the evenings after class and on the weekend of 6/17-18. I will have my 16 year old granddaughter with me and want her to have a good time--any suggestions?
Old May 17th, 2006, 03:33 AM

You have all the shopping you could possibly handle at the huge mall just south of there--Park Crossing (?).
On the week-end you could drive up to Rocky Mountain National Park.
Old May 17th, 2006, 05:03 AM

Park Meadows--Park Meadows.
Old May 17th, 2006, 06:03 AM

Can you tell us more about what you like to do and what your granddaughter likes to do? Also, where are you staying? Will you have a car?
Old May 17th, 2006, 08:04 AM

Here are some suggestions.

On your free weekend, I’d get into the mountains for sure. A drive to Estes Park/Rocky Mountain National Park would be my pick if you’ve never been to Colorado.

You could also head down to Colorado Springs for the weekend. Drive up the Pikes Peak highway. Check out the Garden of the Gods. Go to the Royal Gorge and Cave of the Winds.

If you’re still in town on the 19th, check out Film on the Rocks at Red Rocks Amphitheater (you may have seen it on Amazing Race recently). Top Gun is playing that night. If you can’t get there for that, a visit is worth it anyway. Be sure to check out the visitor’s center.

The Colorado Rockies are in town on the 11th and 19th. The 11th is a day game and 19th an evening game. That would be a fun outing.

You could take your granddaughter to Six Flags one night… although not my favorite place.

If you can tell us where you're staying, I can probably make some more recommendations plus some recs on restaurants and shopping.
Old May 18th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. We are staying at the Staybridge Suites DENVER SOUTH-PARK MEADOWS and I will have a car.

I had planned on Pikes Peak and Garden of the Gods. I thought about a dinner theater but havn't found anything yet. We have season passes to park here (Dollywood) so Six Flags may not appeal to her.

She likes to sleep, eat, and shop--a normal 16 year old. I like trying to keep up with her.

Thanks!
Old May 18th, 2006, 04:39 PM

Since you asked about a dinner theater, the Country Dinner Playhouse is close to your hotel. You can look at their website to see if it looks interesting. I haven't attended their dinners/performances so I can't comment, but maybe someone out there in Fodorsland can.

www.countrydinnerplayhouse.com
Old May 23rd, 2006, 07:23 PM

The shows at Country Dinner Playhouse can be fun but the food isn't really spectacular. It's really close to the Park Meadows area. There are more than enough restaurants in this area as well. There's also a outdoor mini-putt, movie theater, huge bowling alley and the brand new Indoor skydiving place which are all on the same street. We just went to see BodyWorlds II at the Nature and Science Museum near downtown Denver. It may not be for everyone but we thought it was interesting and it runs through July. www.dmns.org

When you go towards Colorado Springs I always recommend the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo which has the best Giraffe exhibit. You stand at eye level with them and can feed and touch them.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 10:05 PM
Tess

We've stayed at the Park Meadows Staybridge--it's nice. Make sure your room isn't directly off the lobby atrium, though--very noisy if so.

Old May 24th, 2006, 03:47 PM

On your way to Colorado Springs, make a stop at the Air force Academy and see what a great education your money can buy for a few. Keep a close eye on your 16 year old. Some of the cadets are rather good looking and haven't seen many girls since they got there.
Old May 24th, 2006, 04:09 PM

You mean other than the 700 female cadets, rm_mm?
Old May 24th, 2006, 05:21 PM

I said girls, not female cadets. I think you would find there is a difference. Watch closely for a bit.
Old May 25th, 2006, 06:27 AM

Here are some restaurant recommendations near your hotel:

PF Changs (Chinese bistro) - right by Park Meadows Mall
Maggiano's (Italian) - on the East side of I-25 off of Dry Creek
Pappadeaux (pronounced Papa-Doe - Cajun)- ask your concierge for directions
Hacienda Colorado (Mexican) - Off of Lincoln and I-25

You should probably check out the Castle Rock Outlet Mall on your way to Colorado Springs - it's a short drive from where you're staying too - so you could do that one evening - about 20 minutes South on I-25.

You're also very close to Coors Amphitheatre. I just looked at the schedule and Ashlee Simpson is playing on June 13. They have reserved seating plus lawn seating there, which might be a fun evening for you two.