Search

Colorado in July

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Colorado in July

HI All! - We were in Co. in Sept. for our honeymoon, and had a wonderful time! I received some really helpful tips from Fodorites, and it really made for an absolutely awesome trip!
We loved it so much we are thinking of taking the new family (probably 5 of the 8 kids) in July.
I was thinking of getting a condo, but I'm not sure where....
So, here is where I'm asking for ya'lls opinions...
We are driving from Kansas City, so SW CO. is probably out of the question, cause we don't want to be in the car that long.
We would like to stay somewhere in the MT's that has lots of hiking, maybe some rafting, extra outdoor (non-commercial) activities.
Not looking for amusementparks, and water parks,,,,
We stayed 2 nights in Keystone on the first part of our trip in Sept., and loved it, but not sure if this would hold quite enough...
I know the Durango resort has a lot of extra things to do, but we don't want to go that far.....
I think Rocky Mt Nat'l Park, would be drivable but are there any areas that hold what we are wanting?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated as we would like to book this fairly soon.

Thanks a ton!!
Kassanna
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 05:57 PM

Hi Kassanna, in reading your post, I would recommend Estes and Rocky Mtn. National Park. There are a few minor commercial diversions (tiny go-kart amusement place), but the primary reason for going there would be to enjoy RMNP's hiking trails and outstanding scenic views. Our family really enjoyed horseback riding through Cowpoke Corral and rafting trips can be arranged in town, although you have to drive over an hour to get to the river. The drive is easy from Kansas; no mountain passes to contend with, less than 90 minutes from Denver. Estes is big enough to have the creature comforts like a large Safeway and a small movie theatre, as well as the requisite tourists shops, but it's not a huge city by any means.

There are lots of restaurants and lodging choices, including condos (I've heard www.vrbo.com is a good site to look.) You could do day trips to Boulder or Loveland, even Denver, if you get bored. The park is huge and awesome. A great day's trip would be to drive over Trail Ridge Road to the west side of the park and to visit the cute town of Grand Lake. Be sure to be on the lookout for moose, which live only on that side!
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 06:30 PM

We really like Breckenridge. Great white water rafting on the Arkansas; shopping in and around (neat shops in Breck - and outlet stores nearby). There's an alpine slide that my kids love, and you can take mountain bikes up the chairlift and bike down.
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 06:40 PM

We live outside of Kansas City and like to go to Colorado Springs. Manitou Springs especially has tons of stuff for families, and is really a great spot to base yourselves for all sorts of activities.

We go up into the mountains west of the springs, and do a lot of hiking there Outside Florissant (where they have the fossil beds, also very cool) is a great state park that is not nearly as crowded as Rocky Mountain National Park. And the hiking is great. My husband always says you expect to see Julie Andrews come singing over one of the hills.

I couldn't remember it for a moment! It is Mueller State Park.

From Manitou you can easily do Pikes Peak, Garden of the Gods, day trips to Florissant State Park, Mueller Staet Park, the Olympic Training Center, the Air Force Academy, Seven Falls and Cave of the Winds (a little campy but still cool looking). Even in the city Steve and I found some pretty cool parks we went hiking around in.

Of course, you could stay right up in the mountains at Woodland Park. There aer plenty of places, including this one I just found: http://www.woodlandinn.com/

Good luck, have a great time. We love Colorado and now I'm envious of you!
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Wow! I always love getting help from you all - It always sends me looking into places that I never would've known about. I love it!
I had heard the Estes Park was pretty, but didn't have much info on it. I'll definitely check into that. Also, I had never heard about Mueller State Park, as Toucan2 mentioned. We went to Garden of the Gods on our honeymoon, and I actually hiked the park in my wedding dress so we could have a photo op. I thought it was beautiful there, and I wouldn't mind going to some of the places around there too.
Great ideas everyone! Keep 'em comin'.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 01:57 AM

RMNP would be a good destination. YOu might check out the YMCA housing there--I think it is a lottery but very good. And a visit to Denver and a few of its sites/sights would be a nice addition I think. Colorado in the summer is SO beautiful.
Breckenridge/Keystone would be very doable also--just 2 hours past Denver.
I have driven from KC many times (en route to Denver from NC--sometimes stop there for the night). It's a doable day's drive--agree about much further though. You do gain that hour on the westward leg which "helps".
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 09:21 AM

Hi Kassanna,

I'll put in my vote for Steamboat Springs northwest of Denver 2 1/2 to 3 hours. There are lots of condos, especially near the ski area. We stayed at a place called The Ranch, if I am remembering right. Very nice place. We had a two bedroom with nice living room, dining room and TWO balconies. There were larger ones available as well. The facility had a large pool and several hot tubs, tucked in among the condo buildings.

Steamboat is beautiful in the summer--very green and a great temperature. Check it out.

A highlight of Speamboat Springs in their Music in the Mountains series held each summer. Classical is the main dish, but other genres are served up as well.

Speaking of dishes, Steamboat has plenty of restaurants and bars so no problem finding food and drink to please that many people.

Have fun.
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 08:13 PM

Keystone is my favorite. Central to many things and quiet also. You can save alot by renting your condo from www.skyruncondos.com if you want full service and someone to be there during your stay. Or consider www.rentalo.com or www.vrbo.com or keystone.ownersguest.com if you don't mind renting from the owner directly.

I prefer summit county to the rocky mountain NP by far... RMNP is FAR too crowded and commercial for my taste, and summer is the HIGH season for them, where it's the LOW LOW season in all the ski resorts in summit county and the mountains are just as beautiful.
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 04:16 AM

The YMCA has two very popular properties in Colorado that would probably work for you if you can still get in this season. Their Estes Park location is the larger of the two and located east of RMNP just out of the tourist gridlock of the surrounding town. Snow Mountain Ranch is their smaller and more rustic facility, but would serve your family well. It is located outside Granby, west of the park. Both facilities offer cabins with self-contained kitchens as well as dinning rooms where you can purchase meals onsite. They also offer horseback riding, swimming pools, and a host of kid centered activities. You can even book your kids into day camp and take off for a few hours to explore the area on your own. Here's the link: http://www.ymcarockies.org/
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 05:10 AM

I would second suggeston of Steamboat Springs coming from KC for all the reasons mentioned above. It was a town long before skiing became popular so it has a lot of activities, etc. for summer. It's close to several state parks and RMNP for some day trips.
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 07:35 AM

I vote for the Summitt Cty area and Frisco in particular. As a base Frisco has a number of advantages. First, housing would be cheaper than some of the resort areas -- Keystone, Breck. Second, Frisco is the hub of the bike/hiking paths in the area. You can take a path to Copper, Vail, Breckenridge, etc. Third, there are several excellent resturants in Frisco. Fourth, the lake Dillon is there with boating opportunities. Fifth, there is a regional, free bus system that would allow your group to break up and do other things with depending on a car, Sixth, Vail is 30 min away and Glenwood Canyon and the hot spring another hour. Rafting at that time of year could be marginal because the peak flow will have passed. But in general, Frisco would make a good base for a large family.
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 09:06 AM

Kassanna. Glad you had a good time. I agree with Barry with the exception that summer is "low low" time in Summit County. While it is not as busy as winter summers are still a busy time. He is right though about lodging. You can easily find a 3 bedroom for under 150.00 a 2 bedroom for under 100.00 a night at the owners direct sites mentioned. Lots of festivals and free concerts. One of my favorite things to do is take in a free concert at the Dillon Amphitheatre Lunch at the Tiki Bar, also in Dillon is a must. Rent a pontoon boat for a fun filled day. Trust me summer in Keystone with the family will make for a memorable vacation.

I too am not a fan of Estes at that time of year.
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 07:03 PM

Have made the trip several times from Kansas city to Durango...actually we stay at South Fork which is a neat area. Close to Durango, Creede, Pagosa springs and Lake city. south fork also has an awesome golf course. Check it out!