Search

Little Italy In NYC

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2009, 04:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Little Italy In NYC

Any ideas for restaurants? We live in NJ and are just going up for the day. I just wanted to try a new restaurant, but something yummy!
Thanks
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 04:34 AM

Why LI? There are very good Italian restaurants throughout the city. One that I really like is Il Buco in Noho. The food is excellent and you feel like you're in a Tuscan farmhouse.

www.ilbuco.com 47 Bond St
(one block north of Houston betw Bowery & Lafayette)
212-533-1932
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 05:22 AM

I agree. Unless you happen to be running short of cheap Chinese knick-knacks and need to stock up, I really can't imagine any reason to go to Little Italy.

By new restaurant do you just mean new to you, but old-fashioned red sauce Italian or something more trendy and new?
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 05:25 AM

It's sort of surprising that Little Italy still retains some attraction for visitors to the city. The area might be more properly now called "Big Chinatown" - due to the expansion of that vibrant area. But for eating Italian there are a host of great spots and they are not in Little Italy. Peasant, Pepolilno, I Trulli are just a few. I don't know if they still do this but the last time I strolled through LI, I was accosted by hawkers for restaurants - a tip-off to stay away.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 06:08 AM
mdn

Agree with others here. Lil Italy doesn't have any great restaurants and it's been that way for quite a while now. The closest you'll get is Lombardi's pizza on Mott & Spring. But IMHO, L'Asso on Mott & Kenmare is far better and is one of the best pizza restaurants anywhere in NYC. Ferrara is a famous Italian bakery/confectionery shop in lil italy where you can enjoy good italian desserts. but other than these places, stay away.
If you want good Italian food, you can go to any number of other restaurants, none of which are in lil Italy.
Add Lupa & Lavagna to the list. You can look at menupages.com & depending on price & taste preferences, choose from these suggestions.