Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Hotels outside Boston - commuting in - summer warning!

Notices

Old Apr 14th, 2009, 02:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since at this time of year there are always requests for less expensive lodging options around Boston, usually in a suburban location on public transit (MBTA). Be warned that the MBTA due to severe financial problems is announcing significant non-rush hour service cuts in both frequency and even location/stations of both subway system and commuter rail. This may effect those of you counting on using this as an option to get into Boston from a suburban hotel.

Unfortunately, exact cuts which will exist in the summer are unknown - some of this may just be scare tactics, but most of it is very real. It will likely be impossible to tell for a while what summer and even fall train schedules will be.

So while not trying to deter anyone from visiting Boston - it is a great city to visit - or to scare you - just want Fodor friends to be forewarned about this possibility.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 03:34 AM

I suspect that a lot of it is bluffing, but it is a consideration. The main change that would affect tourists staying in outlying hotels would be the potential elimination of Commuter Rail runs on nights and weekends. IMHO, the most likely service to be cut is weekend service between Boston and Providence, since that service was introduced relatively recently.

Here's the Boston Globe's coverage of the original proposal/threat:

http://www.tdf.org/TDF_SupportPage.aspx?id=68&do=v
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 07:12 AM

Read that and immediately thought about posting here. I am hoping that it is a bluff but may turn into reality. Another warning is about the Pike's new no overtime policy. There may be excessive delays on weekends too.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas.../?comments=all
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 07:22 AM

Sorry about that mis-link above.

Anyway, here's the latest; indeed, now the MBTA director says it's just a bluff so far:

http://www.patriotledger.com/news/st...-to-T-services

Specifically, “There are no proposed anything,” Transportation Secretary James Aloisi said during Monday’s MBTA advisory board meeting. “We’re looking at all options, some may be service cuts, some are other things."
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 07:56 AM

Anonymous:

I see where you're in Quincy...my hometown..born there in 1929, graduated QHS...been in California since 1957...love going back to visit...lived mostly on Dysart Street, off Elm St.,two blocks from the end of Hancock. I can sure tell you stories of Old Quincy....a great place to grow up, IMO. Write it you wish...I don't mean to be hijacking, but I did.Mea culpa.

stu Tower [email protected]