Lincoln Center, The Ballet, & Tourists

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2004, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sometimes I question why I spend what I do to live in New York City. Last night re-enforced my decision of why I put up with all the crowds and grime. This is an amazing place to live because I have the most diverse forms of entertainment at my fingertips.

Last night I had the privelege of seeing the New Ballet by Susan Stroman at Lincoln Center, for which I will be forever thankful. It was so heartbreakingly beautiful that I think I stopped breathing at one point. No one in the packed house spoke, fidgited, or had a cellphone go off. The first time in my life I have been left speechless. The first half was music by Irving Berlin. The second, by Walter Donaldson.

I think tonight is the last performance. If you are a ballet fan, I suggest that by hook or by crook, you get a ticket. I saw some people outside selling singles, so you may have a shot. This is an amazing performance, and different than any ballet I have seen. Act 1 was a story of a mother who gives up her daughter for adoption & then finds her again. Classic ballet with energy, passion, gorgeous costumes, and an interesting set. Act 2 was the story of a man who will inherit 7 million dollars if he marries by 7 pm that night. Funny, modern ballet, Bill Irwinesque movement, adorable.
Susan Stroman has done it again.

I am just posting this because I want to suggest to our tourists/visitors that instead of seeing 3 broadawy musicals, that they would consider a ballet or opera. If you don't have quality ballet or opera in your area, this is money well spent. That ballet last night rivaled anything I have seen on a broadway stage. And of course the magical Lincoln Center setting is such a joy. The State Theater has a fantastic theater/photo exhibition gallery upstairs. It is worth getting there an hour early just to see that.
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 07:25 AM

I agree. Instead of seeing two Broadway shows on my last trip (a solo trip), I took in La Boheme at the Met, and it was fabulous. It really is a very different experience than Broadway. The ticket was a bit pricey but worth it. I would have to get far away seats though to take the family without spending a small fortune. That's the downside, but I did get very good seats for what a non-discounted Broadway orchestra seat would cost. I would love to take my daughter to the ballet in NYC someday.
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 08:04 AM

Agree that tourists should try to think beyond the latest musicals - as much as I enjoy them. I think they don't because "Shows" has New York image but "Culture" seems less accesible to many. Until you've experiened it you have no idea how enthralling good opera or ballet can be (Nureyev or Bariskhnykov beat hoofers hands down).
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 09:19 AM

Bravo! A post that ought to be topped weekly so that those going to New York might find inspiration.

For anyone reading who might be thinking, 'huh, that's interesting, but what's playing?' go to lincolncenter.org and pull down 'buy tickets' That will give you a full rundown of everything available within a 3-4 week window.
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 09:49 AM

And for those of you who don't like to blow the budget for some of these events, this year we discovered the "dress rehearsals" for the New York Philharmonic -- something like $25 a ticket.
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 10:01 AM
GoTravel

I subscribe to the NYC Ballet (www.NYCBallet.com) and highly recommend this to anyone.

This year Susan Stroman is featuring the centennial of George Balachine. It looks so exciting.

Old Feb 5th, 2004, 10:02 AM
GoTravel

BTW, the NYC Ballet has a $52 million dollar operating gap. Please donate to this wonderful organization.

Old Feb 5th, 2004, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Since everyone that has posted replies seems enthused, here is some more info for visitors:

The two Chagals hanging in front of the Met are world famous works of art. But, they don't become unveiled until around 2pm in the summer so they can avoid sun damage.

The backstage tour of Lincoln Center is very informative, not to long, and is very entertaining (depending upon your tour guide).

City Opera in the State Theater building is cheaper than the Met, and performances are equally as entertaining. Big difference in price, and also the Met has teleprompters on the backs of each seat, City Opera has one big one above the stage. I actually find that easier to deal with then to keep looking up and down.

The State Theater has a beautiful gallery of photos that highlights the history of the performances at the theater.

The Met has a small museum on the lower level that also houses photos, but has costumes from past operas on display as well.

Avery Fisher Hall is an accustic (sp?) delight.

The two theaters are modern, well kept and well appointed. Mitzi Newhouse and Vivian Beaumont. There really isn't a bad seat in the house. The downstairs theater (Mitzi?) even has free coat lockers.

In the summer they have dance/entertainment that you can participate in for free outside by the fountains--salsa, swing, etc. It is usually on a weeknight for 6 weeks. Check the schedule.

There are lots of places to sit around by both sets of fountains. In nice weather you can pick up a sandwich at Balducci's (I think 2 blocks north) and have a little picnic pre-show. Or go across the street and have dim sums from the pass around cart at Shun Lee Cafe. Rosa Mexicana is also a great place for some upscale Spanish food at a reasonable price. Just go easy on the Sangria before the theater or you will sleep through the 2nd act!

I hope some other posters will chime in here with what I have left out, and make corrections if I screwed anything up. Thanks!

Old Feb 5th, 2004, 10:28 AM

In addition to the Lincoln Center tour, there is a Metropolitan Opera backstage tour.

And I can't watch the film of West Side Story without thinking, "wow, that's where the Lincoln Center is today!"
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 10:28 AM

Great thread!

And heres a shout out for Carnegie Hall!

We always check it out whenever we get to the city and have seen some truly amazing conerts.

carnegiehall.org
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 12:38 PM

Another bravo for bugswife!
In addition to the opera, ballet and symphony, there's also great theater. The recently concluded brilliant production of Henry IV played there. King Lear starring Christopher Plummer opens soon. And, in June, Stephen Sondheim's latest, The Frogs, opens, starring Nathan Lane, who also adapted/modernized the story.
In addition to Lincoln Center, there are also a wide variety of performances at City Center, including the Alvin Ailey and many other dance groups.
New York is indeed the cultural capitol of this country.
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 09:19 AM

Great thread! Patrick, how do you purcahse the "dress rehearsal" tickets for the New York Philharmonic? Web site? Box office? This sounds like something we might be interested in on our NYC trip!
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 05:36 AM

Many tickets at the Metropolitan Opera ARE pricey. But, the Family Circle seats are plentiful and reasonable....well under $50. During the week, I believe they are $35 currently. A bit higher on the weekends or first nights. Yes, these are high up in the theater and you'll want binoculars (cheaply available downstairs in the shop if you don't have any and you can rent them here). However, the sound in the Family Circle seats is glorious. Many feel it is the best sound in the house. The singers often sound close enough to reach out and touch. Also, you have the Balcony seats just below the Family Circle section. Many regulars prefer the Balcony seats as best value for the money at the MET. Around $65-75, I think.

So, don't let cost factors keep you from the MET!
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 06:28 AM

OK ... you've inspired me. I will be in NYC next week and have a one free evening to take in something other than the usual Broadway play or musical. So I've checked and Sleeping Beauty is being performed by the NYC Ballet (at NY State Theater at Lincoln Center), and L'Italiana in Algeri is being performed at the Metropolitan Opera. Anyone have a recommendation?
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 06:57 AM

Either one will be a pleasurable experience. The obvious question is: Which do you enjoy more, opera or ballet?